1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please can we rename the 'ICT' forum to Computing or Computer Science

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Training_2_Teach, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Training_2_Teach

Training_2_Teach New commenter

Dear TES,
    Please could you rename the 'ICT' forum to Computing or Computer Science ASAP.
    Thank you.
    Yours sincerely
    Michael Gove

2. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

ICT and Computing.
    I don't feel that ICT is necessarily dead. A CS curriculum isn't strictly that relevant to everyone, even if it does offer some higher order thinking skills. The ICT skills will still need to be an underlying presence in so many aspects of the work.
    And we should all know by now that there's a gulf between policy and implementation - things never change quite as much as we might hope.

3. My first post!
    I think you really need to have a distinct Computing forum, as it clearly is going to be distinct subject. I understand that there will still be some ICT courses running, so by all means keep this one, but you need to kick off a Computing forum.
    And now would be a great time to do it, as Gove has announced this change and Bett is running.
    Go on, Gail. Just do it. You know it is inevitable.

4. autismuk

autismuk New commenter

Computing and ICT ?
    A lot of the stuff in ICT - Control, Databases, Spreadsheets and Word Processors - was part of Computer Studies/Science courses 25 years ago, albeit in a simpler form (fewer GUIs - I had one mouse)
    What needs to be junked is five years of drawing pointless pretty pictures and then giving 17 GCSE grade Cs if they can find the on switch.

5. Training_2_Teach

Training_2_Teach New commenter

Great idea, I totally agree, that way we can discuss all non-ICT i.e. Computing/Computer Science related issues in there and how we intend to plan/implement the new curriculum in Sept.

6. There's an MFL forum - not one each for French, German, Spanish, etc...

ICT and Computing. Or Computing and ICT. I'm not really bothered either way, but you know (as do Magda and Aimee) that I've been keen on some Computing specific stuff (especially in the taxonomy) for a long time.

7. Captain Obvious

That's the point I'm getting at - there's a lot of necessary overlap between the two subjects/disciplines. A proper CS project still requires a substantial ICT component, which is a useful skill set beyond documenting what goes on within the CompSci side.
    I'm sure the two can complementary.

8. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

At the moment it is ICT that remains the statutory subject.

Just saying.

9. Can't we split into five:
    • IT
    • ICT
    • Computing
    • Computer Science
    • Programming
    I won't tell you which I'll join but it's bound to be better than yours.

10. Captain Obvious

What, no forum for semantics?

11. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

LMAO

Just leave it be. There's an MFL forum not separate American, French, German, etc
    There's a Science forum not separate Physics, AstroPhysics and Applied Physics etc
    PE aren't asking for separate .....
    You get my point by now I guess. However Gove itself said ICT will remain compulsory, so just let it be.

PS - Don't forget what a **** up they made last time they changed something on the forum. [​IMG]

12. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

how about "Machine Code"? If it was good enough for my ZX81 ...

13. clockmender

clockmender New commenter

I am renaming my department
    Information and Computing Technology

I suggest the forum does the same, in these austere times this will save on replacing the door signs, job titles, contracts of emplyment etc etc..,

14. Surely we need a Computing forum. That way, proper teachers can begin the process of rescuing the subject from years of decay while the rest of the losers can discuss how great ict still is and discuss a joint sceme of work for the next PowerPoint module.

15. Captain Obvious

The glorious computing master race looks down on the ICT peasants?
    The two subjects are linked, and if this change is to be meaningful and sustained the two areas need to work together because in "real life" you can't have computing without some form of ICT (documentation etc.).
    If there isn't acceptance that both areas need some curriculum time we're damning ourselves to be written out in favour of weak and sporadic cross-curricular activities. Revolution is precisely what we don't need - The computing advocates should be particularly aware that projects evolve in order to last.

16. There is no doubt ict is a mess. There is no doubt also that a small part of ict is traditional computing. But if we are to ensure that computing gets its rightful place as a quality, well regarded subject, it needs to completely disassociate itself from ict and start again. The last thing we need is evolution, where we gradually turn ict into computing over many years. I welcome Gove shooting the rabid ict dog and ordering a new puppy be bought. It was the kindest thing to do.

17. Either 'Computing', or 'computer science' - lowercase deliberate - as it's not 'Computer Science' imho.</p?

18. A good idea, although I'd prune it myself:
    • IT
    • Computing
    • Programming

No point in leaving ICT (it's gone hasn't it?)

19. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

I would prefer something like
    <u>"ICT</u> and a little tiny bit of computing to keep Mr Gove and industry happy at this moment in time until they realise most kids can't do it and find it boring."
    or just "<u>ICT</u> and <strike>computing"</strike> would do
    [​IMG]

20. autismuk

autismuk New commenter

I think ICT is great preparation for children ; for working in a cardboard box family ; every minute, exactly the same.
    I hear one schoolboy got a Telegram from the Queen for having done 100 DTP Documents on Theme Parks.