1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please can someone tell me what I must do for CEPD?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by sarah9, Sep 11, 2007.

1. I just feel a bit lost as to what I'm supposed to be doing, before I finished the PGCE we all had to complete the transition point 1 sheet, but my NQT mentor has asked me to find out what he needs to do next and then tell him. I couldn't get onto the New NQT course this month or the one that was in July in my county (fully booked) and my school can't afford to give me NQT time so I am finding it hard enough just coping with the day to day stuff without knowing what to do to pass probation! There are some sheets of what look like standards in the CEPD file- do I need to fill these in like what we had to do on the PGCE, with pieces of evidence? I'll be so grateful if anyone can help, last night I had a nightmare that I got to July and they saw I haven't filled in my folder and refused to let me pass probation and I really don't want that to happen!

Many thanks, Sarah

2. I just feel a bit lost as to what I'm supposed to be doing, before I finished the PGCE we all had to complete the transition point 1 sheet, but my NQT mentor has asked me to find out what he needs to do next and then tell him. I couldn't get onto the New NQT course this month or the one that was in July in my county (fully booked) and my school can't afford to give me NQT time so I am finding it hard enough just coping with the day to day stuff without knowing what to do to pass probation! There are some sheets of what look like standards in the CEPD file- do I need to fill these in like what we had to do on the PGCE, with pieces of evidence? I'll be so grateful if anyone can help, last night I had a nightmare that I got to July and they saw I haven't filled in my folder and refused to let me pass probation and I really don't want that to happen!

Many thanks, Sarah

3. sjk17

sjk17 New commenter

I did nothing and nobody looked at it and I passed my NQT year in July

4. Could I just ask sjk17 what Uni did you attend because I have done my CEPD and they won't sign it off. They tell me that I have passed my NQT year but won't put it in writing or sign the CEPD.

5. Hi, I have just had my first NQT meeting with my mentor. I had written my first transition point (when at uni) but no one signed it off. My NQT mentor didnt really read over it she just asked what I would like additional training on etc and we set 3 targets. I havent really found the file CEPD file very helpful and everyone I have spoken to has said its a waste of time.
    You need to get your hands on the booklet from the tda. It is called Professional Standards for Teachers..why sit still in your career? This booklet sets out exactly which standards you need to meet. It also states that you do NOT have to have a seperate NQT file.
    Hope this is the kind of thing you were after.

6. Many thanks Helen. I will look for that booklet.

7. Helen13 which Uni did you attend?

The Uni I attended when I did my PGCE said mine had to be signed because if it wasn't then they could not sign me off the course.

Did you receive your PGCE Certificate as well, even though the CEPD file wasn't signed off.

8. I did nothing.

Did the first section when on PGCE - got it signed off (University of Bath).

Became NQT, went through standard NQT stuff - training, observations etc - never gave CEDP in, it was never read.

Signed off fine.

Got Golden Hello in August.

Sorted.

9. ...I got a letter yesterday from uni saying they need a copy of my transition point 1 for "their records" and so that it is signed ready for my first post.....Just 3 weeks late then!
    I already have my degree and QTS certificate tho and the second point written :)

10. to Pleugh
    I have heard the ternm 'Golden handshake'. Please could you let me know what it is and how to apply for it.

Many thanks
    GailOwens05@AOL.Com

11. sorry Golden Hello
    Whoops!!!

12. NQTs who have qualified through the PGCE route in specified secondary shortage subjects receive a "Golden Hello" on completion of induction - so long as they have a contract of at least one term in the following twelve months. You must be teaching the subject in which you trained in order to qualify.

Check out this page for the information straight from the horse's mouth - http://www.tda.gov.uk/partners/funding/ittfundingandgolde...

13. Just a quick point - if you are employed in a state (e.g. not independent) school, you MUST be given a complete induction programme including NQT time - this doesn't have to be one afternoon per week but can be allocated through sending you on courses and observing other teachers. If you have an induction tutor this means your school is providing induction therefore you are entitled to your time, whether they can afford it or not! CONTACT YOUR UNION

14. sjk17

sjk17 New commenter

Re post 3

My uni (Canterbury) signed off transition point 1 at the end of my PGCE but that was the end of my CEDP folder as far as my school was concerned. They said all the evidence was in my daily practice and that would suffice.

15. Back again! So it's not a case of painstakingly finding and recording evidence of meeting all the standards like we did on the PGCE then?