1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please can I have my drone back...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by primarycat, Dec 14, 2019.

1. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Just had people knock at the door to look for their lost drone that apparently was in our garden. It was all a bit odd. Not a request that I've had before and they left the child in the front garden while they looked. They did seem genuine - I was alert to it being some distraction robbery - but they looked and left. They had all the kagouls, flashing bits of tech and earnestness that I'd associate with drone hobbyists.

They didn't find it.

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

#21stcenturyproblems

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Just remind them that a drone must not be flown within 50 metres of a person, vehicle or building.

4. primarycat

I should have.

Jamvic, border_walker and needabreak like this.
  5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Not much bothered about losing the child, then?

6. primarycat

I did think that. We showed him through the house back to the parents.

Jamvic likes this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

But how do you launch/recover said drone?

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

colpee, primarycat and lanokia like this.
  9. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

I'd have shut the door on them, and gone and looked for myself.

10. primarycat

The family are trailing round the area looking for it again.

11. colpee

colpee Star commenter

They win the spooky awards, but I think a daft family would just lose them. This should be easier to find:

12. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

You'd think a drone had some sort of GPS location type system so people could find it when it went down... They aren't cheap and they must come down in loads of places which are hidden from the owners.
    This family sound a bit like numpties to me.

Jamvic, bombaysapphire and primarycat like this.
  13. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Bear in mind that a drone is not just for christmas.

Incidentally, if I find a drone in my back garden, can I just take it to the tip?

Jamvic and mothorchid like this.
  14. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

There used to be a bloke who flew his drone in a field near us, I'd see him when walking the dog. Well over 50% of the time when I saw him he would be walking round looking for it in long grass or the bushes. They are surprisingly small and dark which makes them difficult to find. You'd think a flashing light that could be activated wouldn't be too difficult to rig up.

Jamvic likes this.
  15. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

They make an awful noise.

sodalime and Mangleworzle like this.
  16. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Drones occasionally end up in my conservatory. I catch them in a jam jar then open the door and release them to fly free again, because I like honey.

17. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Do you think the worry about that, the so-called clever one manage to close down whole airports and risk a huge loss of life.
    Because of such idiots, the government is supposedly readying a bill which means all drone flyers will have to have a licence of competence and be registered as drone owners!

Jamvic likes this.
  18. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

These things are only problem until the government can find some way to squeeze money out of peeps.

Remember carbon footprint all that media hype about it, after the carbon tax was introduced we get climate change denial.

oldsomeman likes this.
  19. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

In the spring I can remember taking a hike up some hummock at Dunvegan on Skye, hearing this farty noise above me in the air and wondering just how big the midges got up there. Then I realised it was a drone. I bet the sight of me puffing and blowing and staggering up the slope must have b uggered up his wild windblown Scottish landscape ambience footage - it's not like I'm Neil Oliver. :)

20. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Ooh, you are!:rolleyes: