1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

please bring back Opinion

Discussion in 'Personal' started by inky, Dec 26, 2015.

1. inky

inky Lead commenter

2. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

Is there anything that could be done on the old Opinion that can't be done on the new Personal?

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

This site has been castrated. How dull it has become.

Msz and lexus300 like this.
  4. cuteinpuce

I'm rather enjoying it. It's more lively than Opinion prior to the recent update.

RedQuilt and GLsghost like this.
  5. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Not sure I like the lack of debate in some threads. Or joy of being told I'm wrong without evidence. Or the one-sided numerous threads on immigration. Or being insulted personally...

InkyP likes this.
  6. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I have, over the Christmas period only, utilised the ignore feature quite significantly.
    This has allowed me to view and post upon only such threads that I choose to view without cluttering it up with those threads started by the usual ranters.
    It's good for my blood-pressure and prevents me from swearing at the aforementioned ranters who seem to me less interested in their espoused cause than they are in attempting to disrupt the Nu-Personal in a (failed ) attempt to get Opinion back
    The results are pretty much a reflection of the old Personal Inky and this may well be a solution to your complaint.

As for how the forum looks to an "innocent bystander" that is really a problem for TES to solve as they have decided and very clearly expressed "views" on what is and is not "acceptable" on their forums and have indicated that the more prominent amongst us really should "know better" than to respond in the way we were allowed to in the past.
    If they wish to reap what they sow by such restrictions then of course I feel obliged to assist them by not interfering. ;)

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

Cute, in principle, we can still write in Opinion or Personal
    mode. In practice, that doesn't happen. We now have Lol Twits posting inane one-liners.

lexus300 likes this.
  8. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I really would recommend the ignore button (again :)). I sometimes look at the forum without logging in, see a pile of immigration threads by a few posters who really don't want to debate and then I log in and they're gone.

I think mixing Opinion and Personal has given NuPersonal a bit more traffic but it's not an ideal fix. I feel sorry for the stalwarts of both and think TES need to do a bit of thinking to make this combined version work. If mods have the time to find twenty threads to start on Education News there ought to be time for proper moderation here.

cissy3, sabrinakat and Lascarina like this.
  9. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Oh but it was always so on the Opinion forum, arguably (much) worse.

monicabilongame and Alf58 like this.
  10. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

But people on Personal didn't have to see it!

coffeekid, Lara mfl 05 and Lascarina like this.
  11. cuteinpuce

Chillax, inky! lol ;)

cissy3 and aspensquiver like this.
  12. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

It is wrong to insult people but you seem to give as good as you get:)

13. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

There weren't many stalwarts of Personal around before the new site, it had more or less died, Opinion wasn't much livelier.
    I'm usually somewhat amused about the rosy view presented about the old Opinion. Yes, there were some interesting and lively discussions but they often descended into mud-flinging bun-fights. There were things and people that couldn't be posted about, swear filters in place (which have now gone too tight IMO), personal attacks, grudges, distasteful subjects etc etc not to mention various trolls, people threatening to go to other posters employers, expose their RL identifies and so on. There were times when it was a deeply unpleasant place to visit. When it was busy, though, it was easier to pass some of that by.
    As for Personal, what about the cat fights on there? It was very lively at times but not always in a good way although entertaining in a way, to some, I suppose, but it wasn't always a nice place to go to.
    If it had been left in the old format then I think it would have ground to a halt eventually.

14. ninenotes

ninenotes Senior commenter

Why do you keep arguing with them?

You must know you aren't going to get a normal discussion.

sabrinakat likes this.
  15. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I do try not to insult the person, but ask for evidence, citing of sources, etc - I then get my intelligence called into question, but I really try not to insult someone personally. I think ninenotes is right....

ps. I am sure there are examples of where I wasn't the nicest, but I have stepped away from several threads recently rather than attack personally - at least to the level of some of our 'newest' posters.

aspensquiver likes this.
  16. ninenotes

ninenotes Senior commenter

Its obvious they don't have evidence or sources, any more than a KIPPer in the pub has evidence or sources.

If you argue with them they'll enjoy the attention. Even clicking on a thread increases the number of views they get. Either avoid them or put them on your ignore list if you think you can't handle the temptation.

sabrinakat and RedQuilt like this.
  17. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

If someone is posting drivel, I'd prefer to personally insult them than conduct some "My dear fellow, I respect your right to hold this opinion but have you considered etc etc" fakery. Not an option anymore.

18. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

My Dear Xena, I must say that I respect your right to hold that opinion.

aspensquiver likes this.
  19. cuteinpuce

Silly old bat. :confused:

aspensquiver likes this.
  20. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Old Tes including opinion had several problems: trolls, returning trolls and overzealous running to tell mummy with random application of petty rules by the thought police. New TES has the same on personal, except there are now stupid adverts to slow it down.