1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Please advise on teaching phonics and numbers etc in Nursery

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Kirstos, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Hi there

I am quite new to Nursery and have the 3-4 year olds (private nursery). I have to teach 1 jolly phonics sound a week which I am finding v.hard! Also, most of them don't know numbers, colours or shapes! How do I teach them those things? (primary trained!)

Thanks!

2. Hi there

I am quite new to Nursery and have the 3-4 year olds (private nursery). I have to teach 1 jolly phonics sound a week which I am finding v.hard! Also, most of them don't know numbers, colours or shapes! How do I teach them those things? (primary trained!)

Thanks!

3. newso

newso New commenter

I wouldn't be teaching the sounds but laying strong foundations with the pre phonics games like those in letters and sounds, however, if you have to do the JP thing have you got the songs? Kids love them and it makes the whole thing fun.

4. cinderella1

cinderella1 New commenter

HIya

if you have a mini mat time after register then have a boards with letter, number, colours and shape.

Every day show the letter here is the letter ? that makes the sound ...... get kids to make sound and try and think of things that begin with the sound. You can play sound games throughout the day, there is some lovely stuff in letters and sounds that you can use alongside your jolly phonics.

Show them the items on colour board, ask what colour they are, what are they what sound do they begin with.

Shape board, what shape is it? 2D or 3D how many sides etc... can you see or think of anything the same shape/

Number board, what number is it, count with fingers, choose a child to touch (if 4) 4 children on the head for them to stand up, then sing 4 current buns in the bakeers shop..... can a child fetch 4 things or whatever number it is. Extend if you add 1 more how many will you have altogether?

Through all your maths games/activities the children will learn very similar to hands on yr1 maths, infact a lot of the elg's and stepping stones (or DM's) are objectives in the yr1 maths.

Whatever activity you do you can count/ initial sound and talk about the colour. Admire childrens red socks, blue jumper or whatever colour they are wearing, coats etc..... look at pictures of beautiful red flowers etc....

Also count well beyond 30.................. count with claps etc... for children to learn the number names,

drop beads into a tin and get kids to listen carefully and count how many you drop, how many times you tap tambourine let them do this as well.

Use a numberline and numbersquare to play games.

Two hoops on a table with objects beginning with your letter/sound of the week and others beginning with a different sound. Explore the objects is it a ppppan or a mmmman, if pan put in the ppp hoop. I would play this game everyweek with key sound and sound from previous week to consolidate.

Calling children to do something, someone beginning with ssssssssssss or whatever they begin with

Objects on a tray, I spy with my little eye something beginning with P? children then have a go, others identify

Hide objects outside and draw hoops for children to put in according to initial sound, you can do this with shapes as welll

Hope this helps, if you need anymore advice email me AaaAngell@aol.com

5. Many thanks for taking the time to reply you two! I have just ordered the JP songs CD from ebay and will take on board all of your advice Cinderella, thanks! [​IMG]

6. We had a nursery teacher last year who was keen to do jolly phonics with the children the early years advisory team were very against doing it in nursery especially with all the children in a one a day/week kind of way. They said children need to get points 1, 2 , 3, and be able to confidently blend and segment orally before they start learning letter sounds. They said even if they had able children they would extend them with complicated oral blending and segmenting eg 5 or 6 phoneme words rather than start jolly phonics. Even in reception we only start children when they have got all those other skills - we have found they pick them up quickly and enjoy more when they are ready.

7. cinderella1

cinderella1 New commenter

A lot of places learn the sounds and blending/segmenting at the same time,

we segment and blend alongside teaching sounds in our nursery. Only ever had positive comments from advisors. It is done through games , if I hold up a cat and say oh it's a c-a-t the kids automatically blend......

I would look at letters and sounds and follw this, if the kids are through the phase 1 then you progress regardless of age