1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pleas help! Textiles year 10 Theory lesson ideas

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by jopeachy, Mar 13, 2012.

1. I'm a trainee teacher of textiles technology and tomorrow (I know, very last minute) I have a year 10 theory lesson on Fibres and fabrics. I've only taught one solid theory lesson so far and it was to a very small group of tolerant year 13 girls and seemed to go well, however I just have no idea how to approach a quite weighty theory lesson with the year 10 pupils?

With the year 13's we watched a video clip, briefly discussed and then the pupils used a text book and the video to create notes and revision aids for themselves. I also verbally explained some extra info they may need for their exam, and I finished off with a quick question and answer session.

I feel very under confident with the fibres and fabrics topic anyway and also not knowing the way I should attempt to present this information is making me dread the lesson a lot :( The subject teacher has told me to approach the lesson in any way I want to, but I don't really know what would be best for the year 10's - any help at all would be brilliant!

Also any ideas for future year 13 theory lessons and how to deliver them would be fab.

Thanks

2. I'm a trainee teacher of textiles technology and tomorrow (I know, very last minute) I have a year 10 theory lesson on Fibres and fabrics. I've only taught one solid theory lesson so far and it was to a very small group of tolerant year 13 girls and seemed to go well, however I just have no idea how to approach a quite weighty theory lesson with the year 10 pupils?

With the year 13's we watched a video clip, briefly discussed and then the pupils used a text book and the video to create notes and revision aids for themselves. I also verbally explained some extra info they may need for their exam, and I finished off with a quick question and answer session.

I feel very under confident with the fibres and fabrics topic anyway and also not knowing the way I should attempt to present this information is making me dread the lesson a lot :( The subject teacher has told me to approach the lesson in any way I want to, but I don't really know what would be best for the year 10's - any help at all would be brilliant!

Also any ideas for future year 13 theory lessons and how to deliver them would be fab.

Thanks

3. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

Too late I think... but it sounds as if you're going about it the right way. Involving video clips... there's usually something on Youtube or bbcbitesize to liven up dry theory lessons - use visual, tactile examples too that the students can handle (pieces of fleece, an actual cotton plant, something woven to examine the weft etc...)Try getting small groups to make notes on a section, then do a short presentation to the rest, so that they too can make notes on the main points.

4. That's great, Thank you! It was a little bit late for my last lesson (which actually went very well) but you've given me a brilliant idea for next week, the presentation idea sounds like it would really well. Thanks again :)