1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Plea for Cambridge Nationals Resources

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by liamfh, Jul 9, 2019.

1. liamfh

liamfh New commenter

I know what people are going to say and yes I agree.

We had an inset day yesterday and I was told that I had to find a new course to do in September to replace the Functional Skills I currently do (I work in a special school). I had about one hour to find a course to teach in September!! So after some frantic looking at various BTEC options I decided on the OCR Cambridge National in ICT. It offers Level 1 and Level 2 based on the grade which helps with differentiation and I can extend to a certificate or diploma.

I taught this years ago in mainstream but that was before there was an exam and students could use templates.

As its stupidly short notice to pull together a new course, and I have also been put in charge of teaching citizenship which hasn't been taught before at our school.. So I am hoping some of you are willing to share any resources you have?

I will happily take anything and everything

Schemes of Works, lesson powerpoints, anything, I will be eternally grateful.

2. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Why rush? You have all Summer to write resources. You can put an outline SoW together in a morning if you have the specification and your school’s calendar in front of you. You can then plan detailed work for the first two weeks - anything more is often a waste of time. I suggest you also look in the specification’s appendix as a start, to see what they recommend. And phone the subject officers at OCR and ask the same question.

3. dalersmith

dalersmith Occasional commenter

liamfh likes this.
  4. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

Wouldn't it be nice if the expectation was that all teachers would spend their holidays on holiday rather than working at home to prepare things for going back to work in school after their 'holiday'.

liamfh likes this.
  5. liamfh

liamfh New commenter

And I am already having to create all the resources for the citizenship qualification I know nothing about..

6. dalersmith

Are all of your students having to do an IT qualification? Is there any time for something like iDEA for those students that do not opt for IT.

https://idea.org.uk/faqs

apapa likes this.
  7. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

"Wouldn't it be nice if the expectation was that all teachers would spend their holidays on holiday rather than working at home to prepare things for going back to work in school after their 'holiday'."

Now I've retired, I think all teachers should be working over the Summer holidays. Come to think of it, 13 weeks holiday is far too much. I think 5 would be far more reasonable. Teachers have it so cushy these days :)

8. dalersmith

When I was a lad, teachers used to work a 30 hour day, and wake up 2 hours before they went to bed. Tell that to new teachers and they wouldn't believe you!

9. liamfh

liamfh New commenter

Thanks, that could be useful for KS3 classes. Just getting them to signup is improving their skills.

10. dalersmith

Believe me, once they get started students of all types love it. I have a student that signed up on a Wednesday(2 weeks ago) 2 days later she had half of the points for the Bronze award, not a grade A student, she just wanted the certificate from Buckingham Palace. We had only done one hour as a class, the rest was at home, and she has now earned her Bronze certificate, 2 hours every night since she started, a real legend.

11. liamfh

liamfh New commenter

That is awesome! The issue with my school will be showing progress and how I would do a SoW for it.

12. dalersmith

Sign up for it yourself, see which badges you think would work best and do them.Write an overview based on those badges, you can do the detail later on. Once you get signed up as an organiser, you can get an email from iDEA weekly with a break down of who got what etc. You can get a whole school organiser code, or one for year groups, or even each class. My school liked the idea of iDEA simply because some Universities offer it as an enrichment program. I didn't really have to sell it to students either, they just ran with it, and even if they race ahead, you can get them to do a badge again in class anyway, so helps them remember what they have done.

liamfh likes this.
  13. NIHistoryTeacher

NIHistoryTeacher New commenter

Course is a nightmare. Based on what you said about your students being SEN, if you use templates / give assistance for tasks, you may well find yourself being done for malpractice. Exam is also very difficult for weaker students. OCN courses might be a better way forward for you. Worked brilliantly for us.

14. liamfh

liamfh New commenter

Which course did you do? I had a look at the OCN NI course in ICT, which looks good. Is that the one you did?

15. NIHistoryTeacher

NIHistoryTeacher New commenter

That's the one. Achievable, realistic and help allowed as long as portfolios completed by students. Good support as well.

liamfh likes this.
  16. apapa

apapa New commenter

Are you committed to OCR Cambridge National in IT?

I teach in a special school and have spent two years developing resources for Cambridge National Creative iMedia.

This lends itself well to special ed, there can be plenty of collaboration with Art, Media, English and Science and I have loads of resources you are welcome to use or develop.

a

liamfh and dalersmith like this.