1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Playing the drums & Neighbours

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oliverferret, Aug 8, 2011.

1. oliverferret

oliverferret New commenter

For some years my son has asked to learn the drums - I had agreed he could when he reached Grade 5 on guitar and Grade 3 on piano. He has just passed these Grades. My dilemma is that I promised this when we were living in a rural location and were surrounded by fields. In the near future,however, we are moving into a village and will have neighbours (the first time I've had any neighbours for 15 years). Would it be unreasonable to allow him to get a drum kit if I said he could only play up until, say, 8pm (he doesn't get back from school til 6pm). I don't want to fall out with the neighbours as soon as we move in.

2. oliverferret

For some years my son has asked to learn the drums - I had agreed he could when he reached Grade 5 on guitar and Grade 3 on piano. He has just passed these Grades. My dilemma is that I promised this when we were living in a rural location and were surrounded by fields. In the near future,however, we are moving into a village and will have neighbours (the first time I've had any neighbours for 15 years). Would it be unreasonable to allow him to get a drum kit if I said he could only play up until, say, 8pm (he doesn't get back from school til 6pm). I don't want to fall out with the neighbours as soon as we move in.

3. inq

inq

You can get special pad things (I've seen them not used them) that you can put on drums so they feel the same (apparently) but sound quiet or what about an electronic drum kit.

4. charlotte.johnson06

charlotte.johnson06 New commenter

Maybe you could speak to the neighbours and let them know about your son wanting to learn the drums. You may be able to come up with an agreement on what times he could practise them to keep the neighbours happy.

5. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I suspect the earliest complaints will come from within your own household. The electronic drumkit is a good idea.

6. I wouldn't thank anyone for making me listen to somebody practising the drums.

7. oliverferret

That was my first thought but apparently these do not help you learn the proper technique and he is relatively serious about his music. You can apparently get quieter drum kits (flats) but they still make a noise. This sort of noise wouldn't bother me, but other people's tolerance levels are different.

8. My son played in a band and used various places to rehearse, one of the band member's garage - a good place and our dining room - not so good. One night I woke to a huge crash, my husband crept around to see where we'd been broken into; he found nothing. It wasn't until the morning when we noticed the ceiling of the bay window in the dining room had come down. I think it was the vibration from the drumming and electric guitars etc that caused a small crack to develop into a bigger crack and the ceiling to fall down.
    So beware! [​IMG]

9. You say that now!

10. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

Our neighbours' son played drums for a while. They came to us before teh kit was bought with a plan already outlined: curfew of 6pm. I see that your son is not home until 6, but if your new neighbours have young children you may have to revise 8pm to meet their bedtimes. The other rule they had was in the garage only and always with the door shut.
    Just him playing was never a problem. It was when he formed a band with his pals that it got trickier. It was always the mates who'd forget the house rules. "The Look" combined with slamming the garage door shut was usually all it took!
    Luckily we're out at work all day, so we really only heard him at weekends.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Nor me. I don't think there is a time when I'd think it was okay if they were through the wall from me.

12. I'm afraid I agree with Lily and Seren. The noise would drive me round the bend.

13. I'm a musician and am currently soundproofing the party walls. I have been assured that they will reduce noise levels by 80%.

14. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Our neighbours (in our previous house) had a son who was learning to play the bagpipes.
    I think I've said enough... [​IMG]

15. My nephew plays the bagpipes. My brother wonders why we never go to visit....

16. oliverferret

Unless soundproofing is viable, I think I will have to tell him "no drumming" for the time being - I hate not keeping to my word though.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Just before I went out earlier this evening I thought I could hear bagpipes - turns out someone was playing them 5 closes (tenement flats for the benefit of English readers) along and across the lane...and I could hear them here! I don't fancy being their neighbour.

18. My son is a drummer...he has been playing drums for ten years.
    He has a set of drums in the summer house at the bottom of the garden and an electronic kit in his bedroom. He can bash the electronic ones silently - with ear-phones on.
    My rule for the drums in the garden...and he is sealed in the summer house when he plays so there is a small sound barrier - is ten minutes maximum for any one session. He is good though and we've had neighbours comment they are impressed, bless 'em. He is NEVER ever to play for such a length of time that he'd be a nuisance - or on sunny days when people might be outdoors and enjoying their gardens. That is a complete no-no.
    He is in a band and sometimes acts as reserve drummer for other groups. His fame has spread locally. He does most of his practising in music studios...local ones musicians can hire, fully equipped with drum kids, amps etc. That is a relief to be honest. When he was younger he had to practise at home, but I was thankful that lots of my neighbours sons were also budding musicians and they'd play their instruments together,doing the rounds of each others garages, so local adults were reasonably tolerant. Youngest son was a guitarist too back then and also played. Again, strict time limits were set.

19. What I don't understand about the OP is why said son had to reach certain grades on other instruments before being "allowed" to take up the drums.
    What is this, the Hitler youth? Let the poor devil have a go, and stop prissing about the neighbours.

20. impis

impis New commenter

Mr Impis plays the bagpipes. He has a set of electric pipes which he uses to practise at home - with earphones. I can't hear a thing, and nor can the neighbours.
    Master Impis plays the side drum. At home, he practises using a drum pad - much much quieter.
    My next door neighbour has a full drum kit which he bashes about once in a while to expel some energy and to destress. He always apologises afterwards, but to be honest, I'm only dimly aware that he's playing them, [if at all]. Ours is a terraced house, with 9 inch brick walls - so fairly good at muffling noises from next door. We hear more if the windows are open, though.
    I would have thought that if you have a detached house, and he plays in a room furthest away from the neighbours [and keeps the windows shut] it should be ok - as long as he doesn't play for too long, or too often. How often is negotiable - with you and with your neighbours. Don't forget, you're unlikely to enjoy his playing much to begin with.
    He sounds like he's quite talented, musically, so at least his playing should become tuneful quickly. [and therefore more pleasant to hear].
    Give it a go - who knows, he could be genius on drums - or he could get fed up of them really quickly once the novelty has worn off.