1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

playground injury

Discussion in 'Primary' started by s0700452, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Please help... I am an NQT. Monday morning I was on break duty. I was in the middle of sorting out a dispute between two year 3 children when a year 6 boy came towards me in shock with blood all over his hand and arm. I rushed him inside where the school secretary completed first aid on him and found some of his finger missing. She called an ambulance and he was rushed to a&e. Turns out that he had seen an ants nest under a cement slab on the steps. He had then picked the cement slab up which had dropped on his finger. His mum is now taking legal action and wants to sue. The head called me in her office today saying I will be questioned. I am so scared. I have no idea what to do? What will happen?

2. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Established commenter

Just tell them what happened. You have nothing to worry about, you did nothing wrong and you handled the situation correctly.
    Parents sometimes get upset when their child is hurt and in my experience they often calm down later - especially when they discover that the child played a part in their own injury!
    Sleep tight!

3. Just wanted to send you a virtual hug! I can imagine how you are feeling. x
    Hoping the little boy's doing ok?
    It's not your fault, accidents happen and the boy in question was doing something he was not supposed to be doing. I have no personal experience of anything like this, but I am sure you cannot be held responsible. Just be honest and explain exactly what happened.
    I hope your head and colleagues are being supportive and are helping to alleviate any worry or anxiety that you are having. Take care. x x

4. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

Make sure you write everything down whilst it's fresh in your mind. It is standard procedure to question all witnesses and that is what you are. Be honest but only state what you have seen.
    Accidents happen and parents will understandably want to know exactly how this happened. Hopefully the truth will out.
    Once you have spoken with the head you will know whether you need to contact your union for advice.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I've posted my reply (as an experienced headteacher) on your other identical thread. Please read it and try to stop worrying!