1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Playground Activity Leaders

Discussion in 'Primary' started by frida, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Hello,
    I was wondering if anyone had advise about how to set up Playground Activity leaders. The idea is to train older students to help younger kids on the playground. This could be by the PALs organising games or just by sitting and talking to lonely kids.
    Im planning to train volunteers in club time. 1st looking at setting rules/guidelines, then brainstorming and then teaching a range of games.
    Thanks

2. Hello,
    I was wondering if anyone had advise about how to set up Playground Activity leaders. The idea is to train older students to help younger kids on the playground. This could be by the PALs organising games or just by sitting and talking to lonely kids.
    Im planning to train volunteers in club time. 1st looking at setting rules/guidelines, then brainstorming and then teaching a range of games.
    Thanks

3. Our Y6 pupils volunteer to become Playground Buddies. Their role is to be a good friend in the lower school playground where they will involve children in games, sit and chat to anyone looking a bit lonely, get the playground equipment out / check it back in again and generally help out the dinner ladies.
    I have a meeting with all volunteers and just go through the procedure - how they can help, what they should do etc. I also pop onto the playground each week (it's not my year group) just to show my face and check everything is okay.
    This role is especially important in September when we get our new intake. They undertake to carry out the role for half a term and they do one day each week. Each day, we have between four and six Year 6 playground buddies on the lower school playground.
    Playground Buddies have a brightly-coloured badge in a laminated pouch to identify them to the pupils.
    Hope this helps.

4. Thanks for your reply. Do your play ground buddies also help to resolve disputes in the playground or do they direct children to the teacher on duty? You mentioned a procedure, would that involve guidance on what they are allowed to help with? Do they have to agree to a code of coduct?
    Thanks again

5. If you contact your SSCo they will be able to provide training in playground games for older pupils.

6. When they become a Playground Buddy, I talk to them about their role, which includes referring any disputes to lunchtime supervisors.
    I feel it isn't the Playground Buddy's role to get involved in disputes, especially as some of the children have siblings on the playground and they would, naturally, be defensive towards their siblings. This has the potential to cause problems and therefore it is simpler if an adult sorts out any disputes between pupils.

7. Hi

I know Replay Education Services (www.replayeducation.co.uk) offers a workshop to train playground leaders. They teach them how to run a positive playground and a variety of games that can be used on the playground. Hope this is of help!

8. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Google Play Leaders in Primary Schools and you'll find some useful links.
    In a primary school I once worked in, the Year 5s took on the responsibility of training to be play leaders and it worked very well indeed.