1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Play based learning

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by littlemissgiggle, Oct 25, 2017.

1. littlemissgiggle

littlemissgiggle New commenter

I am researching schools that effectively use play based learning in their schools beyond EYF. I am looking for schools that use play as the main basis of their teaching in year 1 and year 2 and even further then this. Any help very much appreciated.
  2. SJ26

SJ26 New commenter

There's a really interesting (in my opinion) podcast on this.
    I can't seem to attach it but it is on the TES podcast on 4th October. The title is: Why all teachers need to take a second look at play.
    Also, if you take a look at the Welsh curriculum, they have foundation stage to the end of year 2.
    Hope that is in some way helpful.
    littlemissgiggle likes this.
  3. circuskevin

circuskevin Occasional commenter

Play based learning is good for autistic pupils.

I read about teachers problems with single autistic pupils. I am happy with a whole class of them.

More usually I get 2 classes of autistic pupils in special schools to work with. Class sizes means it is 15-20 pupils in total.

The interesting activities I provide are ideal for these children. They can tackle them as individuals.

The TA's assigned to these kids can relax and enjoy themselves. Chat to each other and catch up or whatever. The children are busily engaged learning and discovering for themselves.

One TA was overheard to say earlier this year ...

"It's a miracle!"

4. circuskevin

I do try and encourage headteachers to get the sort of equipment I use for their schools.

Sadly they prefer to carry on the 'same old way'.

5. littlemissgiggle

Brilliant, thank you so much
  6. littlemissgiggle

Thank you. What kind of things do you use?
  7. circuskevin

Hi @littlemissgiggle

I use an assortment of novelty type carts etc as part of the circus workshops I do.

Didicars, ezyrollers, rebound rollers, whirl-o-wheels, carousels, foot and hand twisters are some I can give names too.

Pupils get an instant reward by motion of some sort by mastering how to use the equipment.

I was disappointed to hear one special needs teacher describe the activities as only suitable for playscheme use. If the kids cannot engage the academic studies in a meaningful way then any method which gets the kids onto 'problem solving' should be considered.

8. circuskevin

I had a long lunchtime gap between 2 shows I was doing for the little ones today.

Talking to a TA in the staff room I offered to teach the worse kids in the school a lesson.

She brought along a dozen year 5 pupils to an empty classroom.

I proceeded to teach them how to make 3 twist balloon dog.

Many people tell me they have bought one of these balloon making kits but give up unable to follow the instructions. These kids could now show them how.

A dozen year 6 pupils followed. As well as the balloon dog they learnt a simple magic trick. One kid demonstrated to a teacher catching up with his marking. He executed the trick perfectly to baffle the teacher.

The 'worse kids in the school' could now provide a popular form of entertainment at their school fete for example.