1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Play based learning

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by NatzyB, Feb 17, 2012.

1. NatzyB

NatzyB New commenter

Hi. I am currently studying A Levels and hope to go to university in September so that I can become a Primary School Teacher. I am working on an extended project alongside my A levels. I have chosen to look at early years, in particular reception class. I am looking at the debate of "is the early years curriculum too focused on play based learning?"
    I am required to do research for the project, which I have done at the school I am helping out in. I was hoping to do some additional research and was just wondering if anyone could help me out by giving their opinion on play based learning in the early years curriculum, for example:
    • How essential is play based learning?
    • Do you feel there is too much play based learning?
    • Does play based learning have any negative effects on children and their learning?
    • What skills do you think play based learning improves on?
    • Have you ever had parents comment on play based learning? Has it been positive or negative feedback?

2. In my opinion play based learning is essential and takes place naturally as children are interested in the world around them. I don't think it can have a negative impact on children and their learning as long as the adult provides challenges and ideas to push their learning forward at an appropriate pace and the transitional period is taken care of to ensure children move away from play based learning at a very slow pace when they are ready to move onto more ''formal'' learning. Play based learning can improve all skills with adult support to create the right environment, challenges etc. I have never had a parent complain about play based learning but have had comments when they come from nursery into reception about them doing some ''real work'' now etc. I thnk it is important for parents to understand the importance of play based learning, and for them to understand how learning objectives are met and activities are set out both CI

3. In my opinion play based learning is essential and takes place naturally as children are interested in the world around them. I don't think it can have a negative impact on children and their learning as long as the adult provides challenges and ideas to push their learning forward at an appropriate pace and the transitional period is taken care of to ensure children move away from play based learning at a very slow pace when they are ready to move onto more ''formal'' learning. Play based learning can improve all skills with adult support to create the right environment, challenges etc. I have never had a parent complain about play based learning but have had comments when they come from nursery into reception about them doing some ''real work'' now etc. I thnk it is important for parents to understand the importance of play based learning, and for them to understand how learning objectives are met and activities are set out both CI
    and

4. (edit - repeat post)

5. I'm very sorry I've no idea what just happened! I'll try again:
    In my opinion play based learning is essential and takes place naturally as children are interested in the world around them. I don't think it can have a negative impact on children and their learning as long as the adult provides challenges and ideas to push their learning forward at an appropriate pace and the transitional period is taken care of to ensure children move away from play based learning at a very slow pace when they are ready to move onto more ''formal'' learning. Play based learning can improve all skills with adult support to create the right environment, challenges etc. I have never had a parent complain about play based learning but have had comments when they come from nursery into reception about them doing some ''real work'' now etc. I thnk it is important for parents to understand the importance of play based learning, and for them to understand how learning objectives are met and activities are set out both CI and AI. Good luck with your studies there are some good books about the topic of play based learning including ''Just playing?'' I think the author is Janet Moyles.

6. Hi,
    It would be really helpful to look at 'learning playing and interacting'. it's a very useful national strategies book. Google it.
    The clear message is the importance of balance between freely chosen, adult supported and adult directed playful learning. I agree with one of the posts that without appropriate teaching and modelling freely chosen play that is continually unsupported can be low level and repetitive.
    i know the job market is tough but if you really want to be a teacher go for it. It can be stressful but it is also joyful and rewarding. good luck