1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Play based learning...what should we have?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by minnieminx, Jul 8, 2012.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Both new year 1 teachers were appalled by the lack of resources in our new rooms on transition morning, and by the terrible state of what is there.

We are supposed to be improving play based learning in year 1 in the coming year so want to make a definite and clear request for worthwhile necessities. However both of us are new to year 1, and not really very experienced in FS or KS1, so aren't terribly sure what would be essential.

Soooo what do you have and where are good places to get things from? The usual educational supplies catalogues, don't have much that inspires. Also what good storage do you have? We desperately need things specific to maths and literacy as well as general resources.

I know year 1 isn't really EY, but as this is about play based resources I thought you people might have a better knowledge of what and where. Hope you don't mind.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Both new year 1 teachers were appalled by the lack of resources in our new rooms on transition morning, and by the terrible state of what is there.

We are supposed to be improving play based learning in year 1 in the coming year so want to make a definite and clear request for worthwhile necessities. However both of us are new to year 1, and not really very experienced in FS or KS1, so aren't terribly sure what would be essential.

Soooo what do you have and where are good places to get things from? The usual educational supplies catalogues, don't have much that inspires. Also what good storage do you have? We desperately need things specific to maths and literacy as well as general resources.

I know year 1 isn't really EY, but as this is about play based resources I thought you people might have a better knowledge of what and where. Hope you don't mind.

3. That's fantastic, no school I've ever worked in does learning through play past Reception. Most barely transition properly. I don't really know (Nursery bod) but possibly resources that are open ended, that give the children the capacity to be really creative with their thinking, eg, for role play. And pictures & photos that inspire and challenge. Perhaps a Reception teacher would know best where they think their children should go next...

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

That is it exactly. Things that allow children to develop thinking and imagination as well as vocabulary and academic knowledge. But what?!

Thank you for the encouragement.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I've bought lots of small world equipment because I really want to develop imagination, storytelling and vocabulary. I also want lots of areas to develop motor skills as I see this a weakness in the current reception class obviously what they need will change as the year progresses. So hopefully Y1 will look very different in Sept to how it does now.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Thank you.
    Both the other new year 1 teacher and me want exactly that for our class as well. Though possibly in a different way to what you mean.

But how do you decide which to buy? Do you just have ones that fit the topic? Or a range? I'm thinking, as it is year 1, to have a small world area that is totally linked to the topic, but I might be wrong to think that.
    Definitely. Several of my boys are really into star wars, so they told me. Jedi writing it will be then! The girls were full of barbie and fairies so wand and ribbon writing will be good. And then lots of things for fine motor skills...but what? And where from?

7. Msz

I've asked if I can paint the built in cupboard doors with chalkboard paint which will give me almost a whole wall of vertical surface to improve the shoulder girdle and I'm planning on getting rid of the sand tray and having an easel so more vertical surface. I want a permanent dough/malleable table and lots of fine motor. I have Community Playthings unit blocks and the small world will probably be CP in the space available.
    I was at Early Excellence a couple of weeks ago and bought some small world (mainly fairytale characters but some spacemen and pirates)and puppets.
    http://www.earlyexcellence.com/resources_by_post_imaginative.html
    The Y2 teacher will be new to the KS in Sept so we are completely revamping our topics so it's quite exciting.

8. Hi Minnieminx
    I am a reception teacher and found that fine manipulation skills and hand-eye coordination was a problem for many of my boys too so I have a special box full of stuff: I keep adding to it and changing it but they ask for it almost every day. This is what I have had in it:
    padlocks and keys - to sort and try open
    different sizes of clamps (from pound shop - much harder to open than clothespegs but got those in too)
    Large nuts and bolts - again for sorting and putting on - most found this difficult to begin with
    big plastic tweezers
    small suction hands (from B&M bargains) and glass beads (they play a game where they have to use the tweezers to pick up the beads and put them on the hands.
    Small tub of playdough
    Selection of key rings with a pull back clasp for them to put the keys on
    some money (to pick up off a table - no sliding it to the end)
    A locked money tin - more padlocks!
    Sewing equipment (large needles)
    Magnifying glasses
    Beads, metal nuts etc and shoe laces for threading
    Coloured paper clips
    Pipe cleaners
    Outside the most popular things are three very big plastic pipes, wooden blocks and sheets for making dens etc with.
    Also all different types of construction!
    Lily

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We too are revamping topics and provision, so in a way exciting. Just less optimistic we will be able to do and have all we know we need to, which hampers the enthusiasm rather.

WOW thank you Lily, lots of great ideas. I'm definitely going to have those sort of things in a box and they look easy to find.

Den making type outdoor provision is what we are really hoping for as well.

10. Msz

Upright working surfaces promote fine motor skills.
    Examples of these are: vertical
    chalkboards; easels for painting; flannel boards; lite bright; magnet boards (or
    fridge); windows and mirrors; white boards, etc.
    Children can also make sticker
    pictures; do rubber ink-stamping; use reuseable stickers to make pictures; complete
    puzzles with thick knobs; use magna-doodle and etch-a-sketch as well. The benefits
    for these include: having the child's wrist positioned to develop good thumb
    movements; they help develop good fine motor muscles; the child is using the arm
    and shoulder muscles.
    Fine Motor Activities
    Moulding and rolling play dough into balls - using the palms of the
    hands facing each other and with fingers curled slightly towards the palm.
    Rolling play dough into tiny balls (peas) using only the finger tips.
    Using pegs or toothpicks to make designs in play dough.
    Cutting play dough with a plastic knife or with a pizza wheel by holding
    the implement in a diagonal volar grasp.
    Tearing newspaper into strips and then crumpling them into balls. Use
    to stuff scarecrow or other art creation.
    Scrunching up 1 sheet of newspaper in one hand. This is a super
    strength builder.
    Using a plant sprayer to spray plants, (indoors, outdoors) to spray snow
    (mix food colouring with water so that the snow can be painted), or melt
    "monsters". (Draw monster pictures with markers and the colours will run
    when sprayed.)
    Primary
    Picking up objects using large tweezers such as those found in the
    "Bedbugs" game. This can be adapted by picking up Cheerios, small cubes,
    small marshmallows, pennies, etc., in counting games.
    Shaking dice by cupping the hands together, forming an empty air space
    between the palms.
    Using small-sized screwdrivers like those found in an erector set.
    Lacing and sewing activities such as stringing beads, Cheerios,
    macaroni, etc.
    Using eye droppers to "pick up" coloured water for colour mixing or
    to make artistic designs on paper.
    Rolling small balls out of tissue paper, then gluing the balls onto
    construction paper to form pictures or designs.
    Turning over cards, coins, checkers, or buttons, without bringing them to
    the edge of the table.
    Making pictures using stickers or self-sticking paper reinforcements.
    Playing games with the "puppet fingers" -the thumb, index, and middle
    fingers. At circle time have each child's puppet fingers tell about what
    happened over the weekend, or use them in songs and finger plays.
    Place a variety of forms (eg. blocks, felt, paper, string, yarn, cereal,
    cotton) on outlines
    Match shapes, colour, or pictures to a page and paste them within the
    outlines
    Primary
    Self-Care Skills
    Buttoning
    Lacing
    Tying
    Fastening Snaps
    Zipping
    Carrying
    Using a screwdriver
    Locking and unlocking a door
    Winding a clock
    Opening and closing jars
    Rolling out dough or other simple cooking activities
    Washing plastic dishes
    Primary
    Sweeping the floor
    Dressing
    Scissor Activities
    When scissors are held correctly, and when they fit a child's hand well, cutting
    activities will exercise the very same muscles which are needed to manipulate a pencil
    in a mature tripod grasp. The correct scissor position is with the thumb and middle
    finger in the handles of the scissors, the index finger on the outside of the handle to
    stabilize, with fingers four and five curled into the palm.
    Cutting junk mail, particularly the kind of paper used in magazine
    subscription cards.
    Making fringe on the edge of a piece of construction paper.
    Cutting play dough or clay with scissors.
    Cutting straws or shredded paper.
    Cutting
    Use a thick black line to guide cutting the following:
    A fringe from a piece of paper
    Cut off corners of a piece of paper
    Cut along curved lines
    Cut lines with a variety of angles
    Primary
    Cut figures with curves and angles
    Sensory Activities
    The following activities ought to be done frequently to increase postural muscle
    strength and endurance. These activities also strengthen the child's awareness of
    his/her hands.
    Wheelbarrow walking, crab walking
    Clapping games (loud/quiet, on knees together, etc.)
    Catching (clapping) bubbles between hands
    Pulling off pieces of thera-putty with individual fingers and thumb
    Drawing in a tactile medium such as wet sand, salt, rice, or "goop".
    Make "goop" by adding water to cornstarch until you have a mixture similar
    in consistency to toothpaste. The "drag" of this mixture provides feedback to
    the muscle and joint receptors, thus facilitating visual motor control.
    Picking out small objects like pegs, beads, coins, etc., from a tray of salt,
    sand, rice, or putty. Try it with eyes closed too. This helps develop sensory
    awareness in the hands.
    Midline Crossing
    Establishment of hand dominance is still developing at this point. The following
    activities will facilitate midline crossing:
    Encourage reaching across the body for materials with each hand. It
    may be necessary to engage the other hand in an activity to prevent
    switching hands at midline.
    Primary
    Refrain specifically from discouraging a child from using the left hand
    for any activity. Allow for the natural development of hand dominance by
    presenting activities at midline, and allowing the child to choose freely.
    Start making the child aware of the left and right sides of his body
    through spontaneous comments like, "kick the ball with your right leg." Play
    imitation posture games like "Simon Says" with across the body movements.
    When painting at easel, encourage the child to paint a continuous line
    across the entire paper- also from diagonal to diagonal.