1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Plastic Moments Balance Bar...

Discussion in 'Science' started by Cornholio, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Cornholio

Cornholio New commenter

...thingy.
    In my last school we used moulded plastic balance bars for moments & levers in year 9. They were blue and yellow with plastic10g(?) oblong masses.
    Does anyone recognise them from the description and know where to buy them? I've tried the usual suppliers but the only sell the wooden ones which aren't accurate enough for what I want them for as they are pants.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Andy

2. Cornholio

Cornholio New commenter

...thingy.
    In my last school we used moulded plastic balance bars for moments & levers in year 9. They were blue and yellow with plastic10g(?) oblong masses.
    Does anyone recognise them from the description and know where to buy them? I've tried the usual suppliers but the only sell the wooden ones which aren't accurate enough for what I want them for as they are pants.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Andy

3. I thnk we have the blue plastic ones you describe - plus we use some wooden boards made up by the DT departments with pivots. The boards are marked up with distances from the centre - but in both cases, the beams seem never to balance in the middle so we 'tune' them with blu-tack.

4. Cornholio

Cornholio New commenter

Thanks for your help guys but it's not what I'm looking for. It's almost like a pan balance without the pans, instead it has little knobs to hook the masses on to at specific points along the length of the bar.
    This is the closest image I could find,
    http://www.arborsci.com/***-Lever_Lab-469.aspx
    It's really bugging me now and I've thought of three more KS4/5 Chemistry uses for it since I started looking [​IMG]
    If i find it I'll post a link.

5. Cornholio

Cornholio New commenter

????
    The missing (***) part of the link is
    '***'
    I bet that wont come up now either!

6. Cornholio

Cornholio New commenter

What's wrong with *** (I know it won't display [​IMG])
    Four letter word, first letter P, ends in rod.

7. You need to make up some videos of you using it to explain all that above! Thanks for finding the kit. We need something like that too. Had it in my first school, now back to rulers with holes :-(