1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Plastic bags to sort recycling...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lmnop, Nov 28, 2015.

1. lmnop

lmnop Occasional commenter

Having always chucked recycling in the green box all mixed up, our waste management officer informed us it needed to be sorted and separated in bags.

So, a bag for cans, paper, bottles and plastic, then leave the cardboard loose, so 4 bags per week. 52 weeks a year. Google says there are 2.7 million households in the UK. Multiply all this together to give 5.6 billion bags used a year to sort recycling.

At 5p a bag at least, this costs the nation 2.8 million pounds. I thought we were trying to reduce bag use. This seems madness. Am I missing something?

2. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Don't sort it. Put it all in general waste. Lots of councils just tip all the carefully sorted waste together in the dustcarts anyway.

3. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Is that what is more commonly known as a dustman or a bin man?

4. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Why aren't they providing containers for the separate items then?

That's ridiculous! And why is there no standard for refuse? We used to have a food bin, a general waste bin and a cardboard recycling bin. When we moved, we had a general bin and a glass recycling box. Now we have a general bin and a recycling bin that includes plastic, paper, card and glass. There's also a bin for garden waste, but we pay extra for that.

It's different everywhere in the country and is there a reason it can't be standardised?

5. lmnop

It was indeed aa binman.

We can't just chuck it in with general waste as our wheelie bin is only emptied every 2 weeks and we are a family of 5.

6. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Yes. Different areas have different facilities for recycling. Our local place can sort paper from plastic and metal but can't deal (Yet) with glass so that has to go in a separate box.
    I think it will all end up with a standard system in the end.

7. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

I have to say I'd be taking bags of (unidentifiable) waste into town (or to work?) every week and dumping them into waste bins there in that case.

lmnop likes this.
  8. crysys

crysys Occasional commenter

I'm very lucky. 3 full sized wheelies - general/garden/recycling. All emptied weekly. However, storage is tricky. Some streets and gardens are totally blighted with them. We can't put plastic bags in recycling though.

9. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

We used to be able to put veg peelings in our green recycling wheelie bin but then the Council tendered for recycling after for the next 3 or 4 years and accepted a lower quote from a company that could only deal with garden waste.
    It doesn't affect us now as all our peelings, coffee grounds and egg shells go to compost bays at our allotment but it's a shame that so much compostable material in our area is now going in general waste.

10. lmnop

Should have said 26.7 million UK households.