1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Plantar fasciitis

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by InkyP, May 13, 2018.

1. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Apologies for spelling if incorrect, spell check wants to say fascists.

I have had this since last July. The doctor didn't have much to say apart from giving me some exercises which help a little. Friends say it lasts for ages and then just goes away. I have been wearing orthotics in my shoes which also help a bit but this is more difficult in summer when I want to wear sandals.

Does anyone have any experience of this and suggestions to make life easier? Or any idea how long it goes on for.

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Several years! It just seemed to go on and on and on and then suddenly disappeared!
    I was told that rolling an ice cold can of coke ( other beverages are available!) under my feet would help, not sure if it did!
    As for sandals, I lived in Birkenstocks from March until November! They really seemed to help!

InkyP likes this.
  3. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Mine lasted 5 or 6 months, withvarying degrees of pain or discomfort. My sister has also had it, it does just seem to appear and disappear all by itself.

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Years!!! The doctor suggested rolling a tin of beans, I could put it in the fridge first. My birkenstocks are comfortable but I can't drive in them or walk for miles (which I probably shouldn't do anyway ).

5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Thanks, it seems I'll just have to wait for it to go away.

6. miranda-s

miranda-s New commenter

I had this for ages and it was agony, the thing that got rid of it (sort of - it still reappears if I wear the wrong shoes or do any running) was making sure my feet had been stretched before I set foot out of bed in a morning. Everything stiffens up overnight and as soon as you get out of bed and walk, it causes tears in the plantar fascia which then get more and more inflamed as the day goes on.
    Keep a long scarf, belt or similar by your bed, and before you get up, loop it around the balls of your feet and pull them towards you gently. Keep doing this until they feel less stiff, then go to the stairs and stand with the balls of your feet on the edge of one and press down with your heels. Once you've done this, your plantar fascia should be stretched and less painful.
    The other thing is to avoid completely flat shoes, slip ons or going barefoot. You need shoes with arch support - Shuropody and Hotter are two companies which do reasonably attractive shoes that have good arch support. For sandals, get some walking sandals from an outdoors shop - they have excellent arch support. You can get ones that look more like a normal sandal - I have several pairs by Karrimor and they don't look very much like a walking sandal. You can get them from Sports Direct if you want to try some on. I have a pair that are "house sandals" that I wear if I'm going to be on my feet a lot at home, like when I'm cooking.
    I hope some of that is helpful, feel free to ask me if you've got any more questions.

InkyP and needabreak like this.
  7. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

My sister had it and swore by these... https://www.vionicshoes.co.uk she got some comfort when she needed it, I see on the site now they have a 30 day trial which seems sensible since they are so pricey.

8. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

I’ve had short term flare ups of this. Get something hard and round and stand on it to stretch the plantar fascia out, even if it’s hurting doing this will ease that.

9. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Yes' I keep a belt on the end of my bed to do this. Otherwise I'm hobbling to the loo first thing.

Definitely. Think I might have to give the walking sandals a go although I don't like the look of them much. In colder weather walking boots plus orthotics work. Birkenstocks are OK indoors.

10. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

They look nice, thanks, I've just got some Clark's sandals which are Ok for a short walk but I'll bear those in mind.

needabreak likes this.
  11. miranda-s

miranda-s New commenter

InkyP likes this.
  12. needabreak

Now I'm in trouble I quite fancy these...

https://www.vionicshoes.co.uk/women/active-sneakers/thrill.html

I wasn't even really looking but they might be worth a try given I will need to replace my trainers soon, I am not sure on colour though, pink or grey?o_O

They say this about the condition you have had diagnosed..."Research supports FMT Technology's success in reducing over-pronation, which can help relieve associated common aches and pains, such as heel pain (plantar fasciitis), knee pain and lower back pain."

InkyP likes this.
  13. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I don't like using Sports Direct (I'm local - there are reasons ) but I'll have a look in Go Outdoors they've probably got something similar.

14. needabreak

15. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

needabreak likes this.
  16. snitzelvonkrumm

snitzelvonkrumm Occasional commenter

I used a cricket ball. Whenever I was at my desk I would remove my shoe and firmly roll the instep of my foot over the ball. I did this 3 or 4 times a day. This seemed to clear it up within 3 weeks and it has not returned.

ruthwill500 likes this.
  17. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I had this for quite some time, tried everything, physio, strapping, orthotics, ultrasound. Only thing that worked was a steroid injection, last resort if other things work, but they didn't for me.
    I was advised not to go barefoot of wear flat shoes, going for a small heel and shoes that roll the foot through the step rather than 'plonk' the foot flat down. I wear skechers as finding comfy shoes that fit for me is really tricky.
    Calf stretches was the other thing recommended.

InkyP likes this.
  18. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

The doctor suggested the same thing but with a can of beans. It relieved the pain a bit but didn't cure it.

ruthwill500 likes this.
  19. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Lots of people seem to say it can last 18 months or so and then just go away so I'll hang on for a while before doing anything drastic.

The key to managing it is footwear - no walking barefoot I wear Birkenstocks in the house, and a low wedge heel while I'm invigilating (only another week of this). The rest of the time my Hotter trainers plus orthotics (about £15 a pair - the orthotics not the trainers) and some newly acquired Merrell walking sandals (£70 ouch!) keep the pain down to a bearable level.

Thanks, people, for your advice.

ruthwill500 likes this.
  20. snitzelvonkrumm

snitzelvonkrumm Occasional commenter

I found the curvature of a firm ball was able to 'hit the spot' better than a can might.

ruthwill500 likes this.