1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Planta Fasciitis

Discussion in 'Personal' started by minnie me, Jan 23, 2020.

1. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I have this on the sole of one foot . Feels bruised and not uncomfortable all the time but having difficulty with ( a range of ) shoes and insoles so making me a bit miserable ....I also have had an issue with the other leg ( tightness in thigh and knee ) due to ill fitting walking shoes. This is on the mend . I tend to turn my leg / foot inwards when I walks / sit / drive .All my suffering is self induced I hasten to add and I have failed to rest when it made sense to - again guilty as charged.

I went to see a clinical practitioner at my local surgery for advice . She offered physio and said perhaps said visit to podiatrist may be beneficial ( there are 3 ! in the visit where I live ) Do other colleagues suffer from this and if so how did / do you tackle ?

I am buying an exercise bike as I don’t swim as the gym doesn’t appeal but I need to do something to maintain my level of fitness.

2. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

A visit to a podiatrist could be useful as they may give you very specific exercises to do which will focus on a more speedy recovery.

needabreak likes this.
  3. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I have had this. It's pretty common in people who need to spend time on their feet all day. I found the insoles from Boots very helpful - that and losing weight.

needabreak and minnie me like this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I had this on my left foot. It caused my shoulder and hip to ache. Turned out one leg was a slight bit longer than the other.

I have in-soles now and it's cleared up completely.

One trick I found worked before the in-soles was to roll a tennis ball under my foot. There was a satisfying crunching sensation.

minnie me likes this.
  5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Oh yes... my in-soles are custom made and moulded for my feet.

Cost me £600.

Best £600 I've ever spent. Since getting them I've been able to run and exercise without pain.

minnie me and smoothnewt like this.
  6. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I had this, it lasted over 2 years. Birkenstocks were good and helped with support, nothing else made much difference until it just seemed to cure itself!

minnie me likes this.
  7. smoothnewt

My daughter used to be a triple-jumper as a teenager and eventually discovered that the same problem was causing hip pain.
    As in your case, a podiatrist made her some orthotic insoles which solved the problem.

minnie me likes this.
  8. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Grand. Many thanks.

I am slim and never been overweight so that is something to discount.

I suspect / hope that my body will heal itself given time if I am sensible. I am cross that I have not been :(...shall consider the podiatrist as my next move ...

9. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Insoles and good arch supports will be your best choices.

10. smoothnewt

It may well improve on its own - difficult to know. I once had a really strange muscle problem in my arm which meant I couldn’t raise it into certain positions and it prevented me from swimming. It was only a small area that was affected and I thought it would correct itself over time. Eighteen months later and it still hadn’t healed.
    I went to an osteopath who did some manipulations and gave me some very specific exercises to do involving a stretchy band. I was amazed at how quickly it then went back to normal. So worth seeing an expert early on to potentially speed things along.

minnie me likes this.
  11. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Do you wear flat shoes / trainers / go bare foot a lot?
    I have achilles tendinitis, and it's made worse by the above. I have 1cm heel wedges inside my shoes, which help a lot. Don't know if they're any use for PF, though.

12. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I had if for a while on supply, but it faded away. Similarly, our youngest's partner recently became a Postie and he was suffering from it for a while but it seems to have gone.

There's a simple foot test you can do where you wet the sole of your bare foot and stand it on tissue paper to see what shape of footprint it leaves. That indicates whether or not you need some sort of support for your foot. Off the back of that I bought some Superfeet insoles for my walking boots and they made a big difference.

However, having treated myself to a quality pair of walking boots more recently I found I don't need the Superfeet insoles for them, so different brands will vary.

minnie me likes this.
  13. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I only ever wear flat shoes / boots / walking / training shoes and sandals in the summer :D

14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Another simple way to help foot comfort is whenever you get a new pair of shoes, keep the insoles from the previous pair if they're not too disreputable. That way the soles of your feet are already comfy while you're getting used to walking in the new shoes. Jeez am I sounding like an elderly person or what?

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Boomer spotted!!!

magic surf bus and minnie me like this.
  16. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Might be worth trying some gel wedges in the heels?
    Apparently flat is as bad as ultra high for PF.

needabreak likes this.
  17. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Yes I think you are spot on. Blimey !

18. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I was given a sheet of exercises from the doctor, stretching my foot which didn't help much when I had it bad, but were great when I felt it coming on meaning I could stop it in its tracks. It lasted about a year before fading away but I've had lots of twinges as if it was coming back again (fewer and fewer as time goes on) all of which have been stopped dead.

Potentially the worst one was 3-4 miles into a long walk in the middle of nowhere, I felt my foot tightening and so stopped and did the stretches, it went away and I did another 8-9 miles without any problems.

I do wonder that if I'd known about the exercises in the beginning if I could have prevented it altogether once it started, instead of keeping going while it slowly got worse and then took a year to go away again.

lanokia and minnie me like this.
  19. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I had this and had mist treatments going at the time, physio, ultrasound, strapping. Only a cortisone injection worked for me. I'm pretty convinced that it contributed to my needing a new hip. I was told absolutely not to go barefoot, which I always did and always have a slight lift at the heel. I've never worn flatties since. I've had a chilled tendinitis in the same foot which exercises helped.
    I had terrible trouble getting comfy shoes but now wear Skechers work shoes and I'm finding them great.

chelsea2 and minnie me like this.
  20. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

They won't inject my achilles tendinitis - it weakens the tendon, and may lead to it snapping in the future. I'd rather put up with the pain and the inconvenience than have that happen.