1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Plant growth is affected by temperature' - help please!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lilybett, Feb 23, 2012.

1. I know the obvious thing to do is leave seeds in a hot place and others in a cold place and see what happens.But at the start of the unit we are going to plant seeds in different places (dark/light/warm/cold/wet/dry), and then at the end, see how the seeds did.
    This is just one lesson with the LO: 'I know plant growth is affected by temperature'
    Would be really grateful for any ideas for how to do this - so much the better if they're engaging! I'm planning the unit for my two experienced colleagues so am feeling the pressure that it has to be GOOD!
    Thank you x

2. JU3fromLeics

JU3fromLeics Occasional commenter

I would be tempted to keep this lesson totally separate.
    Use totally different seeds but choose quick growing ones!
    Possibly they've looked at mustard and cress earlier on in school, but something like <u>mung</u> <u>beans</u> might create interest.
    You can look at the results a few days later then...

3. Thanks SO much for replying /stress!!
    I agree, it has to be separate from the overarching investigation as we set it up next week and don't return to it until right at the end. I just couldn't think of any way to do it without it just being more bloody putting soil in cups, putting cups in different places, etc!
    The QCA suggest we could discuss greenhouses [​IMG]
    Thanks so much for replying xx

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

5. I don't mean to sound like a total fool lol, but ANY mung beans? Like, these? http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estore/search/searchcontainer.jsp?trailSize=1&searchString=mung+beans&domainName=Products&headerVersion=v1&_requestid=196126
    Just any old mung beans I can get down the supermarket? Are they the seeds? Haha [​IMG]

6. Also, Marlin, thanks. Those BBC Learning Zone clips are always good quality and the kids find them hypnotic haha x

7. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

What else do you think they might be?

8. I don't bloody know!

9. It's worth trying out whatever you're going to use in advance, as some seeds take quite a while to germinate, and others will go and do all the interesting stuff at the weekend, or at some point when you don't have a lesson. Though an internet search would probably give you a fair idea.
    It's worth thinking through whether you're investigating seed germination or how much the plants grow after they've germinated - not quite the same thing.
    Hope you enjoy it, whatever you end up with.

10. Thanks very much for this, very helpful. I am going to spend Sunday sticking food colouring up celery and wrapping mung beans in wet newspaper!
    I probably will enjoy it - I like how excited the chn get about Science. It's just poor old Miss who's a bit out of her comfort zone! [​IMG] Thanks again x