1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Plans to teach in Spain

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by sunshine_desserts, Feb 15, 2018.

1. lorenzol1

lorenzol1 New commenter

Good morning docHolliday,
    I hope you are enjoying the last few days of the summer holiday ☺️
    I have just read your thread, and would like to know a bit more about the 'reconocimiento' process as I am finding it very difficult to contact the right person/department from the Spanish ministry of education.
    I have a PGCE in Secondary ( Spanish as a foreign language). I also teach French and have taught EAL. I am Spanish but I qualified in the UK so I want to get my qualifications recognised/ homologated to move back to Spain and work there.
    Where did you have to start the process? Uk? Spain? Online?
    I have filled in a form online on the ministry s page about 2 months ago, but as of yet I have received no response.
    Would I need a reconocimiento or homologación to work in a private / concertado school in Spain?
    Many thanks in advance, I appreciate any info you can give me.
    Regards,
    Laura

2. cdmoore28

cdmoore28 New commenter

I've almost got mine through but it has taken almost a year. I work in Barcelona and our HR did most of the process for us. I just had to go once to sign a document saying that she could do it. We did it in the Ministerio de Educación Sede Barcelona which is just off Plaza Catalunya. In the end, she had to go back a few times with additional certificates. They wanted: Degree, PGCE, Certificate of completed induction, Certificate of QTS.

They have accepted it and stated the subjects I am qualified to teach. We have then accepted that and are waiting for the final certificate to come through.

Our school has just started asking its staff to go through this process. Bare in mind that in the EU anyone that is qualified to carryout a job must be accepted to carryout the same job in other member states. So I got through just before Brexit. After Brexit however, things might get complicated. In Spain they study more credits to get their degree and generally consider that UK degrees do not have enough credits to be a full degree. They also study a 'Master's degree' (which really is a load of ****) to become a teacher, while in the UK we do a 'PGCE'. So, we'll just have to see what the process ends up being like after Brexit.

3. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

'Bare in mind?'...sounds like an erotic fantasy.

4. BristolLanguages

BristolLanguages New commenter

What are the best websites to look for job ads in schools in Spain? One is Tes.co.uk, is there other local ones that you would recommend?

5. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Search Associates

6. fapiv

fapiv New commenter

Hi docHolliday,

What are your thoughts or knowledge about someone from the US applying for teaching positions in Spain?

7. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

I'd say that in general the same warnings that are given to uk teachers about spain (low pay, 10 month contract scams, high cost of retail in cities etc) apply with the added disadvantage that, at least for the moment, UK citizens have the automatic right to work in Spain and if a school can find a british teacher who doesn't need a visa they'll go for that over a US teacher who does,

After brexit, if we lose that right, we lose the advantage and you will be competing on a level playing field.

8. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

There's always the Irish to compete with!

Yeah, I echo Blue above - every US teacher I've met here has had an EU passport... and I know a couple who came over here, couldn't get a work permit and had to head home.

9. fapiv

fapiv New commenter

That does not bode well for us then. :) Well, the struggle continues. Will still try my luck with American schools and see what happens. I understand pay is a lot smaller but really looking at having my kids experience a different culture growing up, work life, and FUTBOL!

10. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Yeah every Australian / Canadian / US Teacher at our school has dual nationality.

11. yasf

yasf Established commenter

I met some at their school in Barcelona that didn't.

fapiv likes this.
  12. fapiv

fapiv New commenter

Yeah, we have dual nationality but it's US/Asian. I know that doesn't help.

yasf likes this.
  13. docHolliday

docHolliday New commenter

There is going to be a constant demand for qualified native speaker teachers. Having your qualifications 'convalidated' will allow you to work in private and concertado schools. Public schools require you to sit local competive exams called 'oposiciones' which are not easy for outsiders. If you jump through the right administrative hoops you can hope to find work here. An EU citizen can get their paperwork processed more quickly and cheaply but some Americans teach here. You won't earn a lot of money but it is a good country to live in. Good luck with it all.

fapiv likes this.
  14. docHolliday

15. docHolliday

There is nothing like the TES jobs page here. Some of the regional governments do collate vacancies on their websites but others don't. Most job seeking teachers here send out a lot of CVs and fill in the 'work with us' forms that some schools have on their websites. A few schools advertise vacancies at 'infojobs' or 'orfertaempleo' but the pattern here tends to be that schools dip into the pile of speculative applicants they have on file rather than advertising a vacancy publicly. The TES jobs for Spain are usually international schools but most private schools in Spain do not go down that root. Given that there are so many private schools here and many are adopting the IB and bilingual status I would say teachers who are native-speakers of English are in demand, both in the primary and secondary sectors. I am a secondary teacher in a school of 2000 pupils and am the first native speaker they have ever had.

fapiv likes this.
  16. docHolliday

-

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  17. docHolliday

18. crisescriva

crisescriva New commenter

Hello!!
    Thanks very much for your post,
    I've found It very useful.
    I am currently going through the same painful process. I did my PGCE in MFL in the UK, now I have applied for the acreditación, homologación and equivalencia as they couldnt tell me which one I needed. I would like to do oposiciones this year and was wondering whether they would accept my acreditacion, given that my PGCE was in French and Spanish but I would like to do the exam to become an English teacher in Spain.
    I would appreciate if you could give me some advice on this,
    Did you get the acreditacion.?
    Thank you very much,

Best,

Cristina.

19. docHolliday

So my BA was in French and Spanish and PGCE for MFL so that together with QTS got me the accreditation to teach English because I undertook my studies in the UK.

For some free professional advice on getting QTS recognised contact the deparment below. It is the office that issued me with my recognition documents to be a secondary teacher in Spain.

NARIC España
    NARIC Spain

Ministerio de Ciencia, Innovación y Universidades.
    Subdirección General de Títulos.
    Paseo de la Castellana, 162. Planta 17 - 28046 Madrid

Phone: 00 34 91 506 55 93
    Fax: 00 34 91 506 57 06
    E-mail: naric@mecd.es
    Web Site: http://www.mecd.gob.es/r/naric
    Contact person: Esther Moreno Cebeira
    Good luck

sm1379 likes this.
  20. crisescriva

crisescriva New commenter

Hello!
    Thank you very much for your prompt reply,
    I've tried to contact the naric and now waiting for a reply,
    Did you get it sorted through
    Reconocimiento de títulos obtenidos en la Unión Europea para el ejercicio de profesiones en aplicación de la Directiva 2005/36/CE
    by any chance?
    Also, did this enable you to sit the civil servant exams?

Thank you for your help,

Very much appreciated,

Best wishes,

Cristina.