1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Plans to Ditch PPA?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Miss Piggywig, May 6, 2011.

1. Miss Piggywig

Miss Piggywig New commenter

In a chat with my head yesterday he mentioned that there are plans to ditch PPA for all teacher. Please can anyone tell me if this is true? How are we expected to get everything done without it? Yes I did teacher before PPA but the amount of, especailly assessment data was no where near what we have to produce now.

2. I have mixed feelings about PPA, i like having a bit of spare time to get some jobs done and i sometimes plan a trip for my PPA time so we have an extra adult, but i also have to teach a carpet session before i go on PPA so rarely get my full entitlement and i get frustrated missing a session a week.
    In our school the other key stages have an outside PE company coming in to cover PPA it would be sad to see small companies like that going under

3. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I would miss my PPA. PPA is on the whole done well in my school and much needed. I think those that want to scrap it forget that paper work, planning and assessments has increased dramatically. PPA was brought in during a time when I wasnt teaching due to a career break. When I returned I was looking forward to more of my own time. It was a shock to realise that my working hours actually stayed the same as before PPA, therefore suggesting that the admin burden has increased our hours by at least 10%. I am not one of those teachers that can find work to do for the sake of it either.

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

Does that mean that teachers employed as PPA cover will get nice redundancy packages?
    My heart sings at the prospect.

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

Sorry to sound so selfish.

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

But not that sorry.

7. toeinwater

toeinwater New commenter

My PPA teacher is great and I don't have to do anything for her. I can see how PPA could be a mixed blessing if you had lots of prep to do beforehand. I'm sure teachers aren't supposed to plan for their PPA (unless they choose to); it sort of goes against what it's all about.

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

That's all fine and dandy if you have a timetable set in stone. In one-class-entry primary schools, PPA teachers have to be more flexible. I'm not trying to restart the old debate about PA - just genuinely interested in what redundancuy packages await us [largely unappreciated] PPA teachers.

9. I enjoy my PPA time - we have to take it in school and it is just about my only opportunity to talk to and to bounce ideas off other staff further up the school (due to the nursery flexible offer hours operating independently of the school!)
    It is done well, it gives me time to do some research, organise some cracking activities and get resources sorted. My school really goes to town on assessement data and analysis too and when this comes around for me to do, my PPA time is a godsend! I don't have the problem of PPA cover because I'm never replaced by another teacher [​IMG] and the more I get done at work, the less I have to do at home. My own three children sometimes like to do stuff with me too!!! Spent too long neglecting them and maybe now with the EYFS review talking of reducing the bureaucracy in the early years, maybe it will be easier for some of us to achieve that better work/life balance.....hooray!!

10. inky

inky Lead commenter

What do you mean?

11. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Inky she is probably like me. I am covered by my NN who is also a HLTA. She also covers the other KS1 and FS teacher. There are very few schools in my experience with the luxary of a PPA teacher, they are too expensive. We used to have one and yes the quality was far superior to what the kids get now. It is all sooo wrong.

12. I LOVE MY PPA! My colleague/s and I get loads of planning, assessments and moderations done. I still work at home most evenings but value my time on the premises to catch up with things and people. I have a very good supply teacher covering me and my class do not miss out just because I'm not with them for one and a half hours each week! It's not long enough.

13. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

I'm with pencil5 on this one. I love PPA and would miss it terribly if it was cancelled. It's when I actually do my planning. I stay behind most days till about 5.30 and get plenty done then, too.That means that evenings are spent doing very little in the way of work (I don't drive so can't bring loads of learning journeys home on the bus!)
    I have a happy balance, but that would change without PPA

14. Yes Inky, Marymoocow was right - my NN steps up to the mark and then she is replaced by....well, whoever is available it appears!
    I do sometimes feel that further up the school, teachers are replaced with teachers but down in the Nursery it's a case of "anyone will do - it's only the Nursery".........grrrrr!!!