1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Plans for 2011/2012

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by bigpig, Jul 27, 2011.

1. bigpig

bigpig New commenter

I know it's only just the start of the summer holidays, but with there being no supply now for at least 6 weeks (and most likely longer), what are people's plans for September and beyond if the current lack of supply continues?
    I was doing quite well Oct - April last year and had at least 1 or 2 days most weeks and often more, Jan-March I visited the same schools quite a bit and had got my name out there. But after Easter it has dropped so much that I will have been lucky if I did 10 teaching days in the entire summer term. I have been doing the odd few days as a nursery nurse which I quite enjoy and even though the pay is not great it is money (I have told the agency I get this with that I will do it during the summer if they have any).
    I'm really hoping next year the work picks up a bit or I get a full time job because I really don't know what I will do otherwise. My 16months runs out middle of autumn term so I will be applying for an extension. After that I have no idea....

What are other people doing/planning on doing? And other than signing on... which I'm not sure I'd be able to due to lack of NI contributions (do self-employed voluntary ones count?) and the fact that I will get paid for some work end of July and Aug for some work I did in June/July.... how else are people planning on getting by/earning some keep?

p.s I know there's already a few threads on here recently relating to money etc. but I thought this had a new slant on it for peoples plans for Sept and beyond.

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I'll be resuming a maternity cover until October, after which I'll be paying very close attention to my average weekly income between then and March 2012. If it drops considerably compared to the same period last year it could be bye-bye teaching by next April, assuming I haven't developed a worthwhile second source of income before then. I'm spending a fair bit of the summer break working on setting that up.

3. I simply do not know. I had a false dawn with the pension people, but now they have screwed up again, leaving me without an income. Last year supply was nearly none existent: made £400 for the whole year. At my age (61) all other forms of employment are barred to you, as nobody takes you seriously. I have tried the 'portfolio of jobs approach', with no success. There are just too many people after too few jobs: it is much worse than the early 80s. I have even got to the point of looking at dinner supervisor and lollipop man jobs, but there are too many applicants with experience.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Comes to something when we can't even get those jobs doesn't it?
    And there's the governmentinsisting we work till 65/66. If only we could GET a job first!

5. bigpig

bigpig New commenter

Mosy likely 68 for me! I really do not want to be teaching in a school when I am 68!

With regards to other jobs like Albertdog said - I applied for a job at a playscheme over the summer as a play leader (all their camp leader - suitable for teachers - roles had gone so they asked if I would be interested in the play leader job), I didn't get it as someone else had 'more experience planning activities with young children. I just hope they were also a teacher!

I'm currently ebaying (went through my shelf of teaching books I've not even looked at for over a year) to make a few more pennies.

I have about 3 friends looking into doing teaching and they ask my opinion - it's great but there are no jobs so if you're leaving a secure job, I suggest you stay there!

6. Quite so, lara. Who would employ older people?. I was reading an article in a paper, which said that the number of over 60s getting jobs had risen slightly, compared with those in the 40 to 60 bracket. From where on Earth did those figures come? I have been through the Job Centre's 50+ programme, which, although well-intended, actually gets you nowhere, unless you have some really basic deficiency, such as lack of literacy, or some physical disability. I come into this second category and got sent on a dreary round of being referred from one person to another in different offices. The person at one of these actually said that she did not know why I had been referred to her. Since this round meant two trips into Central London and one to Maidenhead, this was both time-consuming and expensive. After all this........nothing!
    50+ also runs a sort of 'sponsored employee' scheme, where an employer is paid so much per week (I have asked how much but I have not found out) for twelve weeks to employ you. It appears to be an version of Youth Training for the elderly. The basic drawback with this scheme is that it is up to you to find an employer to take you on, which takes you back to square one.
    When I apply for yet another job, I feel like the exobiologist who, in 1974 I think, used the huge Arecebo dish to aim a radio signal at some distant star, which, he hoped, had a planet in orbit around it that might harbour intelligent life. His chances were small at best and, as far as I know, he is still waiting for a reply.

7. jmntsp

jmntsp New commenter

Don't know....giving it til Christmas and then getting out of teaching, I reckon. I have no work lined up for next term and little hope of any. All schools round about have now appointed internal TAs to do cover. As I live in a rural area of mass unemployment my hopes of anything else are not high.....put it like this, my nearest Asda is a 70 mile round trip. No towns, no industry, no jobs. Unfortunately four kids, and a working husband mean I can't up sticks. I am too old for anything now......although I could answer sex chat lines whilst doing my ironing and pretending to be 22 with a 40DD bust if it would help.