1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Planning....

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pinkflipflop, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Just been reading the NUT guidance on planning as I am fed up with our new lesson plan proforma that takes up an A4 page per lesson.
    I understand that it is just union guidance but can anyone shed some light on what is deemed as acceptable levels of planning by Ofsted?

2. Your planning is for you to get the job done, not to satisfy some external body so they can tick a box. If you're teaching and the children and learning, and it is obvious what you are doing and where you are going, OfSted shouldn't need to even see your planning. Just make sure you have the evidence of your effectiveness as a teacher.
    Saying that, I tend to put more into a lesson plan when I know I am being observed - just in case.

3. From Nov 2010 - The White Paper:

2.55 Similarly, we support the idea that teachers should have a plan for their lessons.
    But that doesn?t mean imposing a centralised planning template on schools. So
    we will make clear that neither the Government nor Ofsted require written lesson
    plans, let alone in a particular format. And we support the view that skilled and
    precise assessment of pupils? work ? both of the level at which children are
    working and of what they should be learning next ? is an essential part of good
    teaching. But we do not need to impose national requirements as to how this
    should be done. So we will not be prescriptive about the use of the ?Assessing
    Pupil Progress? materials and the new National Curriculum will not specify the
    methods teachers use.

4. Thanks for replies so far.
    We have had a whole school template imposed on us and filling in all the boxes is taking hours. Has to be handed in 3 weeks in advance too [​IMG]

5. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

What?! How is that taking into account AFL/planning to the children's interests!?
    We've just had OFSTED in and got 'Outstanding'. Our planning sheet is one side of A4 each for maths, English and all the foundation subjects for the week (ie 3 sides of A4 in total for everything). They had no problems with our planning and no lesson plans were done for the 2 days they visited either.
    This must be taking you forever-are you in special measures?

6. Just ridiculous!
    I know the objectives I am working to a few weeks in advance, but I can't guarantee I can predict how each class will progress in any given lesson, and often have to change my plan over a couple of days to accomodate for times that some children need extra practice with something, or times they have shown that they have achieved the objective quickly and can move on.

7. I would be going to the Union if the school aren't the sort to talk about things then Pink, this is just stupid - how do you know where the class is going to be in three weeks time?!! Just think about things like Maths - I don't know where mine are going to be at the end of the week usually, and most weeks end up changing if not my entire lesson certainly bits and pieces of it - I don't think this is because I am a pants teacher, (Ofsted certainly don't think so anyway), but because teaching isn't a static thing - otherwise they would just give us all scripts and be done with it.
    In first instance I'd talk to my line manager/KS leader/a nice member of SMT - it kind of depends on the size of your school on one hand though - in my last school as it was so small I would have gone straight to the head for a word, in my current one it would be one of the Deputies (the human one), but if I didn't get any joy I would either ask my union to get involved or just not do it and see what happens, and then get the union involved if it went down that route. I tend to 'get away' with things by just not doing them to be honest, if thats an option at all (go on, give it a go [​IMG] )
    There might be a clause in your contract (probably?) about being entitled to a 'good work/life balance' (there is in mine), it could very easily be argued if you are doing that much paperwork per lesson in advance (and then re-doing it constantly as you get nearer the delivery date) you certainly have very little time left for any sort of life balance, but are doing mucho work.
    At the end of the day with schools though imho it depends how militant about things you want to get - and how much fight you have in you. Hopefully though if someone points out to the <strike>pillock</strike> genius that came up/implemented this one, they might go 'actually you're right - this is madness'. You never know! Good luck.

8. Can I come work in your school please?! :D

9. greta444

greta444 New commenter

we do the same amount of planning, it takes me about an hour and a half each week to do plans. Getting resources ready is extra of course. We can make up our own planning format to suit ourselves too.

10. PFF - your whole planning situation speaks volumes about this particular HT's own insecurities and his/her need to micro-manage. Sadly quite common!

11. It wasn't like this with the old HT.
    We stated that we don't think planning 3 weeks in advance is appropriate but he just ignored us. We gave the AFL argument etc but he would not listen.

12. By the way, it was recognised by govt that something does need to be done about excessive planning loads. Ofsted and the DFES or whatever it's called this year do NOT want prescriptive lesson plans. DO use the paragraph I quoted above but don't go in all guns blazing (not that you would). Ask your HT if there is a forum for raising such matters as you'd like to do it in the appropriate way. Then formulate some alternative ideas more along the lines of a weekly format. My advice would be not to go along the lines of worklife balance just yet. Keep it strictly linked to the needs of the children. This seems more about HIS needs!

13. We plan on 3 sides of a4 also. One is a timetable format overview. Mostly for our own use and to record the objectives to be covered in each lesson. It is useful if anyone is off suddenly and needs to be covered.
    The other 2 sheets are a sheet of short term plans for maths and english. We only need to do these a day in advance, then we submit them at the end of the week as a record of our planning and what we did with the children. It is very flexible.

14. Again, thankyou for the responses.
    I have called a union meeting and just want to organise as much information as I can to discuss with colleagues.

15. 3 weeks in advance? Mad!
    We have no centralised planning format and I use a format that I have devised so if it doesn't work I have only myself to blame!
    I have a weekly timetable - as with a tiny school no 2 weeks seem to be the same, this means that the TAs can't moan that they didn't know what was happening and that I remember things like parent's coming in at variable times to read etc. I have a sheet with our continuous provision on it, there are weekly sheets for each of the 3 phonics groups and weekly plans for Maths, English and topic for all 3 year groups. I think that this is excessive (and it takes me hours) but seems to be the only way to manage the 3 year groups. If you only have 1 year group you won't need anywhere near as much as me. stand your ground and fight your corner - if that isn't mixing my metaphors.

16. Waterfin, how do you plan your foundation subjects? Is that a seperate planning sheet?
    We have 4 weekly planning sheets - one sheet A4 for Lit, one sheet A4 for Num, one sheet A4 for Phonics, one for standalone subjects (ends up just being PE - music done by music teacher, RE done by PPA cover, ICT done through other subjects).
    We then have a medium term key skills based plan for our topic work (incorporating geog/hist/science/dt/art) which can be a few pages long, but has all the lessons we are going to deliver on that topic so it can be for the whole term/half term. It also doesn't stipulate dates, we literally use it as a working document and if one lesson takes longer or another lesson is deemed unnecessary, we have that flexibility.

17. I can't even work with the new format. I read things in a certain way (as I'm sure all of us do) and just can't get my head around it!

18. I know what you mean, I hate the Hamilton Trust plans which are in tiny boxes with different sections running across the page as that isn't the way my brains works. I like to read a whole line across almost the whole width of the page.

19. Me too, glad i'm not the only one!
    All I need is - Learning Objective, Carpet teaching session activities, group activities (Incl. diff and TA support highlighted here), and Plenary.
    For Maths in Y1 we follow a local initiative which uses a "teach practice apply" approach during the carpet session, so that box is split into those 3 sections, but its still read left to right and one day is on one line.

20. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

We have one A4 for Lit, one for Num and medium-term foundation subject plans. Our Lit and Num are done to an agreed school format, not too tedious and we never have to give them in advance. Foundation subjects are done to our own format, I've found one that works for me with just five boxes for each lesson - LO, activities, expected outcomes, resources and differentiation.
    SLT would, of course, be able to look at our plans whenever they wanted. It's just that they never ask.