1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Planning when ill

Discussion in 'Primary' started by acceb, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Hi all. Next week I'm due to go into hospital. I've got student and a TA who will teach/cover in the mornings and then in the afternoon one of the part time teachers will cover my lessons. What I'm asking is, for my planned lessons how much detail should I include and should I get ALL of the resources ready as I don't want to waste time planning and getting resources ready if the plans are not followed etc.

What do you think? Thanks

2. Hi all. Next week I'm due to go into hospital. I've got student and a TA who will teach/cover in the mornings and then in the afternoon one of the part time teachers will cover my lessons. What I'm asking is, for my planned lessons how much detail should I include and should I get ALL of the resources ready as I don't want to waste time planning and getting resources ready if the plans are not followed etc.

What do you think? Thanks

3. I would just given the supply teacher the objectives for the sessions. At my school, we never plan for supply teachers - they are professionals and can plan themselves!

4. I will be out of my class for a week at the end of the Spring term. I will be leaving the schemes of work and just highlight what has been covered already and what needs to be covered next. I will not be planning actual lessons or leaving resources. I am sure that the teacher covering will understand what skills need to be covered and have their own ideas as to how to reach them.
    I will be leaving ability groupings, reading days etc but leave them to do it as they see fit.
    I think it reasonsable to leave quite explict work for day 1, but then they should take the lead from that. We plan litercay and numeracy in our school for that very reason. We used to have to forward plan 10 days worth of such lessons but often found that they needed amending.

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

But acceb has a STUDENT and a TA covering her class, not a supply teacher ( not for the mornings anyway) Is the student being paid to act as a supply teacher, surely this is not what students are meant to be doing, even final placement students are meant to have some support, not be used as free supply!

6. Agree that it seems a bit cheeky to deploy the student like this. For one thing, the linked class teacher has a responsibility to carry out observations and offer feedback constantly.