1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Planning when absent

Discussion in 'Primary' started by shoesies, Jan 19, 2012.

1. I have been off for 3 days now and going to be off for at least another week. We have to hand our planning in a week in advance.The plans run out tomorrow and I have just received an email from a workmate (not management) asking for my planning for next week.I am slightly annoyed because I am off for a genuine reason, complete with doctors note. Before I reply I just need to know, is it my duty to plan for the supply teacher when off? Thanks, S x

2. I have been off for 3 days now and going to be off for at least another week. We have to hand our planning in a week in advance.The plans run out tomorrow and I have just received an email from a workmate (not management) asking for my planning for next week.I am slightly annoyed because I am off for a genuine reason, complete with doctors note. Before I reply I just need to know, is it my duty to plan for the supply teacher when off? Thanks, S x

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

No, you don't need to plan at all. And school cannot ask you to. Just ignore the email.

4. thegoose

thegoose New commenter

No you do not need to do it! Ignore email. Get well soon x

5. Thank you. Thought as much but needed to check or I would have been in trouble no doubt when I get back x

6. Might I suggest that you contact a member of the leadership to share this so that they can explain to your colleague how inappropriate this is?
    This should ensure that there is no "trouble" for you from any direction when you go back. It doesn't need to be a complaint just an request for help from the SLT.
    Hope you feel better soon.

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

As a supply who's done a lot of long-term sickness, I've always had to work from MTP or help from SMT/HoD etc for longer than a couple of days

8. You are under no obligation to respond to that email.
    I would also add that surely your SMT recognise that there would be a total lack of AfL if the planning was completed by a teacher who had not even come into contact with the children in over a week!
    Who has been teaching them? Surely they are in the best place to suggest the next steps for those children?

9. I'm pretty sure most Supply Teachers would rather teach their own lessons anyway rather than be dictated to by someone else's plans.
    I don't agree with grassing to the Head though. I can't stand it when the childen are tattle tales, let alone adults doing it! Just ignore the email.