1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Planning using DM or ELG?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Crownie13, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Which do you use to plan/refer to in your planning?
    The transition records suggest the majority of my reception have achieved most Development Matters (though they said they are v kind!). In your long term/medium term plans would you do references for DM, ELG, or both?

Thankyou

2. cinderella1

cinderella1 New commenter

Well you could begiin by using your DM's, if ?your children have all reached their ELG's which you will find out after you have done your own assessments, then your'l have to use the yr1 objectives to meet their needs. But I imagine they wont all have.

3. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

We used to plan using the ELGs in the old curriculum, as children often came in working within the first 3 ELGs (with some scoring higher in some areas). But we decided that that wouldn't work with the new ELGs and are planning from the DMs.

4. Ah thankyou for this. & I guess throughout the year, towards the end, as they start to work towards ELG you will plan using these? So on your long term plans e.g. looking ahead to term 5 and 6, what have/are you planning using?
    Thankyou again

5. Ah thankyou for this. & I guess throughout the year, towards the
    end, as they start to work towards ELG you will plan using these? So on
    your long term plans e.g. looking ahead to term 5 and 6, what have/are
    you planning using? Thankyou again

6. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

We only included the ELGs in term 6 on our long-term plan, but I expect that will start planning to teach some elements of the ELGs earlier than that. We'll just see how it goes. If short term plans or mid-term plans are different from the long-term plan then so be it. It will show that we are not relentlessly following a plan just because it's written down, but that we are adjusting our plans to take children's progress into account.

7. Why are you planning for term 6 already????? Its not even September......

8. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Because the SMT want a long-term plan from every year group, and they have to be on the school network so that the SMT can check them.

9. Crazy.... maybe somebody needs to explain to them how inappropriate that is for younger childrens learning and development