1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Planning to start tutoring, what are the key things i need to do/know?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Moony, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Right, i've got the details of a tutoring agency and i'm going to sign up with them. I know I need o sort out my tax and NI and that will mean a trip to the tax office to sort but is it an overly complicated thing? Also what handy things can you tell me about making sure I have a positive impact and the like. Also would it be a good idea to sign up to a couple of tutor registers and how would I spot the good from the bad?

Thanks!!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Just make a phone call to them to tell them you are self employed .Keep a record of income and expenditure. Pay the tax next year (i.e. I have just filled in my tax return for 2010 - 2011 last month) and need to pay the tax ([​IMG]) by the end of this month. They will send you NI stuff to pay.
    I am with a few tutor agencies - they're free to join. Don't go with one that takes a percentage. Best ones are the one you set your fee and they charge the parents a few pounds to buy your details,