1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Planning to start teaching but need some advice

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by kristiecox, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Dear Stephan
    I have recently gained a degree in Primary Education BA (hons) in 2011. However as I have also recently had a baby I am in a predicament on what to do with regards to my career and in which direction I should be planning to go from now on.
    As I have not yet undertaken an NQT year I was wondering how long you have until you are seen as not able to teach once you have finished your degree? Idealy I would like to leave it a few years before going into full time teaching as I have a young son and I feel these early experiences are the most important therefore teaching would be a very full hands on job which may effect these early moments. How long am I able to leave my NQT year? Also am I able to undertake an NQT year as a job share? Are these routes possible?
    I have always wanted to be a teacher and when I was told I would not beable to have children this became the obvious route but now with our new arrival being a very welcoming suprise my plans have now changed but my passion for teaching is still present and I would like to hopfully combine the two if possible.

Any help with this matter would be very greatly appreciated
    Thankyou
    Kristie

2. Dear Stephan
    I have recently gained a degree in Primary Education BA (hons) in 2011. However as I have also recently had a baby I am in a predicament on what to do with regards to my career and in which direction I should be planning to go from now on.
    As I have not yet undertaken an NQT year I was wondering how long you have until you are seen as not able to teach once you have finished your degree? Idealy I would like to leave it a few years before going into full time teaching as I have a young son and I feel these early experiences are the most important therefore teaching would be a very full hands on job which may effect these early moments. How long am I able to leave my NQT year? Also am I able to undertake an NQT year as a job share? Are these routes possible?
    I have always wanted to be a teacher and when I was told I would not beable to have children this became the obvious route but now with our new arrival being a very welcoming suprise my plans have now changed but my passion for teaching is still present and I would like to hopfully combine the two if possible.

Any help with this matter would be very greatly appreciated
    Thankyou
    Kristie

3. Hi Kristie,
    I qualified with the same degree as you, just 1 year earlier. You can put your NQT on hold for as long as you like, there is no time limit for it to be completed.
    I'm pretty sure you can complete your NQT part time/job share, it'll just take longer. But is possible! Have you thought about supply work? Might be a good way to break yourself back into teaching. I did supply before gaining a full time job, and found it really beneficial.
    Good luck, with whatever you decide to do.

4. Hi Kristie Congratulations on your new arrival and it is good to see that you are still very enthusiastic about teaching. If you gained QTS through your BA (hons), then you can begin your teaching career when the time is right for you. There is no time limit on beginning your NQT year although, clearly, keeping up to date with current educational issues is important. It is possible to begin induction through a part-time role and it may be a good idea to maintain your knowledge and skills by volunteering at a local school or doing some occasional supply work.
    I wish you every success in your teaching career.
    Lin Hinnigan, Teaching Agency