1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Planning to return to teaching but does my BA(Hons) In Primary Education give me QTS?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by klbentley, Jun 20, 2011.

1. My first post here and I'm sure a more thorough search would answer my question but hope I can find the answer here.

I was a reception class teacher at an independent school in SW London for five years, before that I was a TA at the same school, I did my degree at Kingston part time, whilst still working. On gaining my degree I was given the post of reception teacher - which I loved.

I left my job in 1999 to have my first baby, then I had a few more (4) with a brief stint in a job share post at another independent school in Sussex. I now work part time in a local pre school but am longing to get back to the classroom.

In my heart of hearts I think I know the answer to my question but just wanted to be sure. Does my BA (Hons) in primary Education give me QTS? I have always thought it didn't but before embarking on the GTP or PGCE route I just wanted to confirm this.

2. My first post here and I'm sure a more thorough search would answer my question but hope I can find the answer here.

I was a reception class teacher at an independent school in SW London for five years, before that I was a TA at the same school, I did my degree at Kingston part time, whilst still working. On gaining my degree I was given the post of reception teacher - which I loved.

I left my job in 1999 to have my first baby, then I had a few more (4) with a brief stint in a job share post at another independent school in Sussex. I now work part time in a local pre school but am longing to get back to the classroom.

In my heart of hearts I think I know the answer to my question but just wanted to be sure. Does my BA (Hons) in primary Education give me QTS? I have always thought it didn't but before embarking on the GTP or PGCE route I just wanted to confirm this.

3. Hi
    It is good to hear that you are longing to get back to the classroom. It is easy to determine whether you already hold QTS. You could contact the course provider with whom you studied your degree to see if you gained QTS. Alternatively, you could contact the General Teaching Council for England to see if you are registered with them. You would have received a QTS certificate from them when you gained the status.
    If you find that you need to complete initial teacher training for primary, as well as your degree, you would need general certificates of secondary education (GCSEs) at grade C or above or equivalent qualifications in mathematics, English and science.
    The experience that you have gained as a teacher and TA will enhance your application but there is a wealth of application tips on the TDA website.
    I wish you a successful teaching career.
    Stephen Hillier, TDA