1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Planning to have sex... let the Police know.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Jan 22, 2016.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-35385227

A man cleared of raping a woman has been ordered to give police 24 hours' notice before he has sex.

The man, in his 40s, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was acquitted in 2015 at a retrial after claiming the alleged victim had consented.

An interim sexual risk order, initially imposed in December, has been extended for four months by magistrates in York.

It requires the man disclose any planned sexual activity to the police or face up to five years in prison.

The order - which was drawn up by magistrates in Northallerton, North Yorkshire, and extended in York - reads: "You must disclose the details of any female including her name, address and date of birth.

"You must do this at least 24 hours prior to any sexual activity taking place."

It also contains restrictions on his use of the internet and mobile phone devices and requires him to inform officers of any change of address.

Erm... can someone explain this one to me... it says he was acquitted? ... why is he having to do this?

I'm not trying to make a point... I just don't get why he has this order on him when he hasn't been found guilty of anything.

2. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

So the name address etc of the woman who is going to have sex is given to the police

3. vannie

vannie Star commenter

It says he was acquitted. Sounds bizarre.

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Have to wonder how you explain that one...

''So yeah we'll make love tomorrow? Great... and your address? yeah that's great... why? Oh I have to tell the police because I was acquitted of rape... hello? hello?''

InkyP, Sillow and sabrinakat like this.
  5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Same thing here.

6. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It's certainly bizarre on the face of it, but only because the full facts haven't been disclosed in this article. He was acquitted after a retrial, meaning he was originally found guilty. We must assume that when originally arrested, he would have claimed that the woman had consented, but the evidence gathered by the police was compelling enough for the CPS to believe an offence had been committed.

The retrial would have needed to examine new evidence in order to find that the woman had indeed consented or that a mistrial had taken place, possibly on a point of law.

I would hope there are sufficient grounds for the police to be concerned that this man poses a risk to women for them to pursue him in this manner. Maybe he has a history we don't know about.

The other thing of note in the article is that he needs to disclose the date of birth of any woman he intends to have sex with, which may infer he has a penchant for the barely 16.

The age of romance isn't quite dead yet though.

InkyP, sabrinakat and lanokia like this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Makes sense DoY...

8. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

In Scotland I believe there are 3possible verdicts Guilty Innocent and Not Proven.

Here we have Guilty, Innocent, Innocent and Guilty

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  9. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Do we actually think this will work? I mean there's more than one way to enjoy sex? Do all contacts with the opposite sex need to be reported? I could go on! ;)

10. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

And what will the police do with this info? Contact the woman to see if she has given her consent?

11. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

Planning is one thing. Just so long as it doesn't involve observations and written feedback.

12. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

So he waits until the Friday before the next Chief Constable's Conference then names the Chief Constable's wife. That'd get a few blue lights flashing.

More seriously, one can't help thinking the acquittal was maybe based on a a technicality and he's still considered a danger. No mention of previous form either.

13. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I would imagine so.

14. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

That is the wrong conclusion. More likely the jury at the first trial did not agree or some irregularity stopped the first trial/made it invalid.

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  15. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

It is because of the interim sexual risk order,.
    These can, if the police/prosecutors convince a judge/magistrate of the perceived need for one, be applied to anyone even if they are not convicted of a sexual crime

lanokia likes this.
  16. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

On the face of it, @lanokia, Interim Sex Risk Orders sound degrading but the Home Office guidance on this class of instruments may dispel any natural suspicion that they are Kafkaesque.

It's possible the affected man's name has already appeared in the news in connection with other recent court appearances. It's also possible that the man has not been named because of his mental status.

lanokia likes this.