1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Planning time

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Lsamumofthree, Jan 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Lsamumofthree

Lsamumofthree New commenter

am being told I can not have planning time in my timetable ! That it can’t be called that for TA s and can’t be scheduled ! But it was last year and I run lots of interventions that I need to plan for. Including a maths group for 15 children ! The class is split between myself and the teacher but I have to plan my class.

Is this true ? Can it not be labelled planning time ?

Getting very stressed as can’t do the work at home ! Am worried if it anyone sent set aside as time it will be taken away from me

2. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

It is still called planning time at our school. I get 1 1/4 hrs. I teach four afternoons a week, family learning and interventions. I spend quite a lot of time at home and that is why I am on TEs tonight.

3. Lsamumofthree

Ok thank you. They won’t allocate me the time on my timetable ! That’s what is worrying me !

4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

At our school, PPA time is officially allocated for HLTAs. For TAs, it's organised by the class teachers they work with and depends very much on how many groups they work with; whether they are actually planning and resourcing for the groups themselves or just need a short time to familiarise themselves with the teacher's plan. Can you talk to your class teacher about it - when are you expected to plan for these groups?

Stiltskin likes this.
  5. Lsamumofthree

Thank you am not a HLTA as yet ! Just going through the training ! Have tried but she isn’t listening ! Today told her the interventions won’t happen if I dont have the time allocated and she did listen. Fingers crossed. Before December it was on my timetable !! New term timetable for interventions and it has been removed ! Had it timetable for over a year since I have been at this school.
    Thanks for replying

6. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

I’ve had three TA posts. In both my prevoius ones I did not have any planning time, but I was only working as an assistant in the room, not undertaking any interventions. In my current post I am doing interventions and I get planning time - but so do all TAs regardless of whether hey do intervention.

I guess it is atthe discretion of the school.

Lsamumofthree likes this.
  7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

The school are talking as if planning time for TAs is forbidden! Nonsense. Unfortunately it's only teachers who are guaranteed PPA planning time. There are no national conditions for TAs requiring planning time, it's solely at the discretion of the school.

If they want to they can give it and they can call it whatever they like. In your school it's not that they can't give it or can't call it planning time, just that they don't want to.

8. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

When I worked as a TA SLT said it was up to the CT to give us time to do some planning if needed but then they said we were employed to work with the children so even if the CT was doing a whole class input we should be with the children So even now I'm still trying to work out when the CT could give us time to plan.

9. Lsamumofthree

Thank you everyone ! Will keep arguing for allocated time !