1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Planning time

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Neo2012, Nov 19, 2011.

1. KS2 class teacher. I've never been able to complete all of my planning in 2h 30mins of PPA. That's if I'm planning to the standard and quantity of that expected from our subject monitoring feedback.
    I'm quite resentful about using my own time to complete planning, which is most Sundays, and feel that it's wearing away at me, making me less and less enthusiastic about my job as a whole.
    I feel that, if I leave it and show management rushed planning, I'd be singled out, as others are setting the standard by happily planning in their own time and producing high quality plans. I know I'd face some kind of scrutiny of my time management if I did, which I don't think is the real issue.
    The weight of the issue just might be the reason I quit teaching in years to come, as there doesn't seem to be a willingness to address the issue of ppa time not being enough time, by senior management.

2. Oh dear! I think that you'd better prepare yourself for a severe flaming.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It's not meant to be enough, it's meant to be a 'contribution' to the time you need for PPA. Your conditions of service indicate that after completing your 1265 directed time hours, you must use any and all additional time needed to do your job well. You're never going to get any more - the cost to schools in providing what you already get is more than most can manage.
    Teachers in primary didn't get any free time in school at all until the WLA came in a few years ago.

4. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

glad someone else said what I was thinking!
    Maybe it's the way the OP has worded it but it sounds like they expect to get everything done in PPA time and not take anything home. OP does not say what time they start and finish just that they spent the whole of Sunday doing the work.
    OP are you and NQT?

5. This is just a windup.
    I can't believe anyone coming into the teaching profession, having gone through a PGCE/BEd, thinks that a teacher can possibly get all planning done in PPA time. Unless, of course, I've totally misunderstood the OP.