1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Planning time (Short replies requested) please

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Mar 18, 2012.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ages and ages and ages this year. But will be less if I kept the same year group in the same school next year. Or if I move to a school that actually has some long term and medium term plans in place. Or if I have a year team partner who plans half the lessons. Or if I move to a school where I can plan in my own way. Or a zillion other things.

I'm year 2 and not really in a typical situation. You just gave me a change to whinge...sorry.

2. comenius

comenius New commenter

KS1
    I tend to spend a couple of days each holiday creating skeleton plans for topic, english and maths for the whole half term, then maybe half a day at the weekend tweaking the plans and adding any detail that's needed.

3. KS2 and easily 10hours+ a week (but I make resources as I do the plans not after)- the plans themselves prob take only 1-2hours. Its the resources and differentiating them that take the time.

4. I do my phonics medium term and topic medium term during the holidays, and spend about 3-4 hours doing it.
    Then weekly I spend about another 2 hours planning literacy/numeracy, and every night about half an hour tweaking planning and gathering resources etc.

5. I have a whole KS2 class.
    I have to hand in skeleton MTPs for foundation subjects a term in advance. With that, I have to hand in a week-by week breakdown (so, for example if I'm using an LCP unit (shudder!) I have to photocopy the whole caboodle and mark each sheet with a week number and date. If there is no existing resource, I have to create something to show the LO and intended activities for each lesson. That probably takes me about 3 days in the holidays preceding the term. I also spend a couple of days each holiday planning my guided reading.
    For literacy and numeracy, like the poster above, I plan and resource at the same time - usually about 9 or 10 hours over the weekend.
    I then use my skeleton MTPs to plan and resource foundation subjects in the evenings during the week - probably about 5 hours.
    I too work in a school with no MTPs or LTPs in place, and with constantly shifting classes with different year groups, there is no rolling programme. Also, being Y3-6 at the moment, in my class, I can't repeat for at least 4 years!
    Total = far too much time = permanently exhausted :(

6. KS1 also.
    Spend half or every holiday so varies from 3 days in a midterm to whole week in easter & summer. PPA time - start at 1.15 and will stop about 6pm. Plus about 2 hrs at the weekend tweaking etc.

7. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Year 6.
    I spend pretty much a whole PPA session planning the literacy on my own, but only because my year colleague is so busy with SLT stuff. The numeracy is planned every morning, after I look at their books from the previous lesson. Foundation subjects are loosly planned in a holiday and then adapted that week or morning, depending on how the children have moved on.
    I'd say, around 3-4 hours planning a week.

8. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

R,1,2
    5-6 hours sunday for weeklies and 3 days ish for mtps etc during holidays.

9. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

Y2 - spend couple of half days each holidays doing MTP for Project, Science, RE, PE, Music, PSHE, Circle Time then tweak week by week as needed.
    Each week spend 2-3 hours planning English, Maths and phonics.
    Spend 1-2 hours most evenings marking then making any changes to next days lessons and preparing resources.
    ALWAYS have Friday evenings and Saturdays off!

10. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

3-4 hours a week. Year 6, but I have ability sets for Maths, English and a separate set for spelling, which makes things easier, as the differntiation tends to be more input/questioning and less of a range of resources needed.

11. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

First year in KS1, I spend about 2 hrs on paper plans for Maths and Lit, then hours and hours more creating ppts/resources for each. it is not unusual for me to spend twice as long prepping a lesson than it takes to teach it. I plan the rest half termly, which prob takes about 5 hours in total. Resources for these are done on a 'night before' basis and how long it takes will largely depend on topic!Assuming I stay in year 2 (though this is by no means certain) I will have a years worth of plans to adapt and lots of reusable resources, as well as a year group partner as we are expanding - hurrah! What are the bets I get moved year group?!

12. Year 6
    3 or 4 hours at weekend not including marking - just planning
    3 OR 4 days during holidays
    1/2 hour adjusting daily plans every night

Must admit most of my time goes on marking

13. All our long and mid term plans are saved electronically. The topics are decided and the LOs are set (based on the Skills based curriculum that we have to follow in Wales).
    My partner teacher and I have both been in the year group for more than a year. We have a good system for keeping resources that we've used before and that we found useful.
    At the start of the term I make a termly overview of all the LOs we have to cover over the weeks and the suggested activities from our planning. This mapping out saves a lot of time in the long run.
    We hold a year group planning meeting once a week for an hour and plan what we are going to do when and discuss any ideas. A weekly overview is written up.
    In PPA we then both plan and prepare resources for our classes. We split what we are going to prepare (discussed in the planning meeting the week before) and share what we create. We also swap classes to teach to our strengths, which also cuts down on the preparation a bit as we plan once and teach it twice.