1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Planning third baby, second consecutive maternity leave...

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by donnaelmo, Oct 8, 2018.

1. donnaelmo

donnaelmo New commenter

Hello,

I’m hoping to get some clarity on how maternity leave works if you get pregnant again during a current maternity leave!

Do you have to return and work during a certain window of your pregnancy to qualify for SMP the second time round? Do you have to return before and work a certain amount of weeks after the subsequent pregnancy and thus mat leave?
    I know OMP would be paid again as mat leave is continuous service but SMP is different...

Any advice/ experiences shared would be gratefully received! I have only been at my school a year (found out I was pregnant after 2 months of being there!) but they don’t favour part time teachers / those who have a small family to manage along side teaching (currently FT but been told if I return PT I lose my right to just teach my subject! Left a sour taste, if I’m honest).

My school have also said my PM numerical target is set at 90% against a class I will not have taught for a year as I’m on mat leave so I’m at the mercy of whoever has taken on my class to ‘achieve’ any pay progression when I return. So stressed out and I really shouldn’t be as I’m away from school right now. It’s so unfair and completely undermines what the whole Performance Management system is supposed to be about. I think so, anyway.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I’m planning a third child very soon due to medical reasons but anxious about how my school will receive the news of another pregnancy so soon (IF of course I am successful and fall pregnant when we try)
    ...I do forever feel like I’m working around schools/ jumping through their hoops rather than focusing on the ‘bigger picture’ and that is family.

Any advice/ experience of any of the above would be really helpful to hear!

Thanks in advance! :)

2. flyingcircusfreak

flyingcircusfreak New commenter

Congratulations!

Firstly, don’t let your school tell you you are being unfair to them or any of that rubbish, or talk about principles. Find out what you’re legally entitled to and do the bits you would like to do.

https://www.maternityaction.org.uk/advice-2/mums-dads-scenarios/pregnancy-during-maternity-leave/ is a great website for this question.

In brief:

Yes, you can take a second period of maternity leave immediately after the first. You may also qualify for statutory maternity pay, and if you don’t, it’s highly likely you’d qualify for maternity allowance.

Having had lots of ‘discussions’ with HR about shared parental leave recently I’ve found the best tactic to be researching carefully from gov.uk or Maternity Action, explaining what I’m going to do, and then if they say I can’t, asking where their information is coming from. This isn’t just facetious: sometimes the employer and employee pages on gov.uk are subtly differently worded, so take this into consideration.