1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Planning - Teaching and Learning

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by JConlon606, Jan 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. JConlon606

JConlon606 New commenter

Evening,

I've recently gained the position of SMT 'Teaching and Learning' and one of the areas I would like to focus on is that of planning.

At present teachers creates a 6 week planner but feedback suggests it is not a workable document. Has anyone any advice or pointers in helping to shape a unit plan which is effective and manageable for staff.

thank-you

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I bet your own staff have ideas that are as good as anyone on here and they're far more likely to use a process they have created themselves. Everyone wants plans that are useful. Think about steering the process rather than leading it. It takes some skill but it would be a coup for you as a new appointment.

3. JConlon606

JConlon606 New commenter

Thank-you. I was thinking of getting staff to bring along an already existing planner and working in groups in order to highlight what they feel works and areas that could be changed.

lindenlea likes this.
  4. bonxie

bonxie Lead commenter

Ask staff to share the style of planning that works best for them. Different members of staff are likely to prefer planning in different ways but may be interested in seeing planning methods that others have found useful.

5. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

What is the point of the planning? Is it for the teacher or you?

If it's for the forner then a set format isn't going to work. Experienced teachers will likely have very little detail in it whilst less experienced may need a lot more.

If it's for you then what do you need to know (and why)? A working document, such as a Google Doc, that shows the planned learning outcomes for the next ~5-10 lessons. With the document amended as necessary over the year and a place to make any relevant notes, if required, after the lesson should be adequate for most circumstances to see what was taught and is going to be taught (which with the document history allows you to see how the teaching has adapted as needed, rather than blindly following a plan that was predicting what was going to be needed umpteen weeks in advance)

6. JConlon606

JConlon606 New commenter

The Goggle Doc idea sounds like something which would be more beneficial. I want the planning to reflect feedback and to be a live document as opposed to something shelved and not a working document. It also will allow staff to come together and identify strategies which worked well and then for less experienced teachers to try implementing these strategies in their daily routine.

Stiltskin likes this.
  7. fineliner

fineliner Occasional commenter

There’s tons of stuff available for planning formats. Just use whatever works. save the working group for something that needs changing at while school level.
    If there are some teachers who need guidance you could pair them with a planning partner who is more experienced and/or had a successful method.

8. koopatroopa

koopatroopa Senior commenter

Give teachers time to talk to each other. The planning format isn't the important thing, especially if what you want to do is capture the best practice of more experienced staff who will be holding most of that good practice in their heads or on illegible notes on post-its in a diary.