1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Planning Scrutiny

Discussion in 'Primary' started by LM2002, Feb 7, 2011.

1. I have recently been asked to scrutinise the science planning of two high ranking members within the school. Mr F and Mrs. A. This is part of my new subject leadership which I was awarded in January. Immediately in January I was given some training in how to scrutinise planning, but now I have release time to do it, I find that
    ~ Mr F has just printed out the QCA overall view for their unit (3B) and added nothing else.
    ~ Mrs A has included zero differentiation (breaching school policy) and it appears to be completely copy pasted from the QCA website.

What the heck do I do now? They're lovely people but this is completely not what we're about nor how we do things. How do I, as a teacher with 1 year experience, tell these vastly experienced members of staff that they're not doing enough?

2. See, I'm up at 2am unable to sleep for worrying about this. How stupid of me :(

- Lisa

3. You report back to the person who asked you to do this (presumably senior management) on ALL the outcomes of your scrutiny and seek their advice and support in actions that should be taken. If you were asked to specifically look at only these two them they must suspect something is amiss. That is how I would expect a Subject Leader to respond, especially a new one.

4. Yes you should do what Chris says. But also keep this quote in mind so you don't get too outraged by the fact they're not following what your head wants.

From the Schools White Paper 2010: "Neither the Government nor Ofsted require written lesson plans, let alone in a particular format".

5. Didnt the workload agreement suugest that using pre determined planning and adapting it or otherwise was advisable?

6. char2505

char2505 New commenter

I know that you were asked to do a planning trawl, but I do think that observing a lesson/looking at resultant work might work well alongside this. It may well be that the teachers in question are differentiating and otherwise adapting lessons, but have not felt the need to write this down.

7. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Do you actually mean that you have only one year's teaching experience?

8. wordclass

wordclass New commenter

I know that you were asked to do a planning trawl, but I do think that observing a lesson/looking at resultant work might work well alongside this. It may well be that the teachers in question are differentiating and otherwise adapting lessons, but have not felt the need to write this down.

Very wise advise.

9. wordclass

wordclass New commenter

advice even! most embarassed by the lexico-syntactic error!

10. eread1

eread1 New commenter

I would very simply feedback what you found, as you were asked to. Would you feel that you were doing your job if you glossed over it or 'hid' it? no - as your role is to monitor the planning, and ultimately - you are responsible as subject leader to do so.
    In our school, that type of planning wouldn't be acceptable either and it would be expected to be highlighted if it was happening.

11. mmmm neither would you be doing your job if you did not reflect on the broader picture as presented by words of wisdom on here... there are no requirements for detailed written plans as they do not automatically reflect good teaching - although they may happen to go with it. You need to form an opinion on it as a co-ordinator otherwise you may do your colleagues a great disservice, not only the two you refer to but also any others who you may then, with otherwise little thought, insist on having to do something which is actually a flawed local school policy. It is good you seek advice on here, let's hope you can take it and be a co-ordinator who thinks out of the box and beyond the whole school corset that such a planning trawl may be a precursor to.

12. Are you absolutely sure nothing has been typed in? I have been criticised for doing that in the past. When in fact I had typed colour coded additions into each section and deleted irrelevant parts. When the planning was photocopied for the co-ordniator to look at it wasn't clear which bits had been adapted which was apparently unacceptable (not that I'm bitter or anything!)

13. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

For my own science lessons I spend a lot of time planning, but very little of this time actually writing planning if you see what I mean - it's all about preparation really isn't it, knowing that the teachers are not just turning up and teaching poorly thought out science. You have to watch them teach, that's the top and bottom of it. If they are the only two being scrutinised it sounds like a bit of a witch hunt. BUT, if I knew my planning was being scrutinised I would have jumped through the expected hoops. Owt for a quiet life.

14. It also depends what you are supposed to be looking for specifically. If you were scrutinising medium term plans, is there a format that staff are supposed to use? How much detail are they supposed to be in? If it is a topic overview-is a QCA scheme not enough? It then depends if they are using the QCA overview to plan weekly, daily and adapting it to the class as necessary.
    In my school everyone has to do a topic overview for the 1/2 term
    E.g. Subject heading across the top, weeks 1-6 down the side and what might be covered in those weeks.
    It is then up to individual teachers to do: Detailed medium term plans, or weekly or daily plans.
    To be honest, planning isn't the best measure of how good teaching is. I've seen some brilliant plans (from the internet mostly) but the teaching is rubbish. I've also seen some rubbish plans where the teaching has been brilliant.
    I think a teacher needs to be adequately planned, but the means to doing that is up to them.