1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Planning permission

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gergil4, Mar 23, 2016.

1. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

Hello. How easy is it to apply for planning permission? We'd like a small extension to an existing extension, but not having gone through the process, I don't know where to begin or how much detail the planning department will need.

2. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

Rules vary across the country, so have a look at the website of your local council.
    Good luck!

3. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Planning is done through your District Council and the specific department is usually Building Control.

Larger jobs need full planning permission but smaller jobs only need a building notice. In certain circumstances, an extension can be built via a building notice.

Most councils will have a planning portal such as:

http://www.eastherts.gov.uk/article/15385/Planning-Permission--Advice
    (This is one chosen at random)

The advice on this link will be the same as your own District Council.

For a building notice you will need to fill out a form, together with a sketch or description of the works. The basic intention here is to demonstrate that your work will conform with the relevant building regs. The cost will depend upon the cost of the project and each Council will have its own scale of fees.

Full planning permission is much more involved (and costly). You will need to submit a full set of plans of the structure and the whole thing will go before a committee to be approved. The best way forward, if you need to do this, is to hire an architect firm who will do all this for you.

As you can see, not going down the full planning route is much simpler (and cheaper) so look at the advice and, if necessary, adjust your plans so you can adopt this route. (assuming it still gets you what you want)

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

You also need to ensure that any extension falls in line with the planning policy of your local District Council and the Neighbourhood Plan, if your town has one.
    Any questions pm me, I used to be Vice chair of the Planning Committee here.

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

My brother is on his 3rd attempt to buy a property because the first two didn't have planning permission for alterations.

6. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Many builders have an architect or the skills to do plans. You do need building control as without it, you will find it hard to sell your house should you wish to do so. Planning permission is not hard to get or apply for. Builders should be able to deal with all that stuff if they are any good at all. There are lots of rules about quality and drains and such like that a builder has to abide by - its a bit of a safeguard for you really.

7. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Just make sure if your builder promises to take care of planning permission that they actually do it. I had a well known and supposedly reputable company who "forgot" to apply for mine which caused a few problems when we came to sell.

8. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

Many thanks for all the helpful advice. I will tackle it next week, but at least I now know where to start. :))

9. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

My daughter had to pull out of a purchase of an upper flat in a Victorian house conversion because the owner had waited until planning permission had lapsed before he started the work! Instead of applying again he thought he could just go ahead and pretend that he'd started within the time limit. That meant that he didn't inform the Council and there was no Building Regs supervision.
    The flat looked great but a survey found that the velux windows were not at the regulation height. There was no way of knowing if the foundations for the two storey extension were done properly or if the joists (burnt in a fire years before) had all been replaced.
    With solicitor fees already incurred, my daughter was about £1k out of pocket.