1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

planning numeracy and literacy activities for PMLD pupils

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by mainbanana, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Numeracy for very special people by Flo Longhorn available from Amazon (not sure of the exact levels it covers) Does anyone else know?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Numeracy-Very-Special-People-Longhorn/dp/1900231557/ref=
    Literacy for very special people by Flo longhorn
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Literacy-Very-Special-People-Longhorn/dp/1900231506/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244048486&sr=1-1

2. Although I teach 16+ with learning disabilaties and or difficulties, many of my learners have little or no literacy and or numeracy skills. I have found the best way to engage them into attempting to develop these skills is to make the subject matter relevant to them. I use food (always a popular choice I tend to take in fruit) for sharing and dividing etc, The reward of attempting the task being of course to sample the fruit, it means you have to purchase it, butmakes the learning more fun and reward and praise works well with all of SEN learners (as us all). I have also encouraged learners to group up and design their own games, using of course numbers, letters colours you can encourage lots in this activity.
    Literacy I have found becomes more interesting if it includes favourite Tv programmes/pop groups etc, use of capitals, letter formation and so on. The Simpsons I use a lot - everyone loves the Simpsons!
    Hope this helps and good luck

3. nearly_there

nearly_there New commenter

Thanks for the advice. I have decided to teach the numeracy and literacy using themes. I can get my head around it that way. It has also stopped my activities being so repetitive because now I have to change the activities to match the theme. By Jove I may have cracked it - lol. After a second day with the class I have also discovered that the lowest ability children can actually do a lot more than I first thought.
    My only worry now is that I need some elements of chalk and talk for the two boys at level 2 which leaves the other pupils just sitting watching me but not actually doing anything. Do you think I should do the chalk and talk stuff only with the two boys and get the learning support and TA to launch straight into the activities with the others. Or are the other children benefiting in some way by following the classroom routines - speaking and listening skills, taking turns. I do plan the talking bit with every pupil in mind so I have lots of VAK things and vary my approaches to include everyone but I am just feeling a bit shakey about things at the minute. This is my first special school job and just don't know if I'm doing things the right way.

4. nearly_there

Thanks for that Ibuzzybea. You are correct my lowest ability children couldn't catch a ball. In fact one boy could not raise his hand on his own.
    Everyone's input is appreciated - thank you. I feel more confident than I did on Monday and have now just about finished my numeracy planning. I have split the remaining 6wks into 3 themed topics (food, transport, holidays). I'm going to try and fit the literacy into these topics as well. I haven't really sat down with it yet but my first thoughts were The Gingerbread Man for the Food theme but any other suggestions are appreciated.
    Thanks for the replys. I've just got literacy to <u>enjoy </u>over the weekend.

5. nearly_there

DOH - now it's me not reading posts correctly. Not literally throwing a ball I'm guessing you meant there. Sorry about that but you get the picture planning addled brain!

6. Ibuzzybea

Ibuzzybea Occasional commenter

Great COME BACK Nicki, I think you and I would get on very well. I think I misunderstood you, I totally agree with your above statements. The amount of occasions and I see children and ask how do they do this or that and the come back is well they can't we do it for them, well what bit of the task or how do you adapt it so they are not passive in their own lives, often the answer is we don't they can't. And I reply the CHANGE or ADAPT something, infuriating!!

7. Thanks Ibuzzybee. Unfortunately TA's can be quite infuriating, and I have upset a few! Sometimes I wonder if they have chosen the right proffession, or if they have the best interests of the learners at heart at all. Still, it gives an excuse to wander to the top field and scream quietly through gritted teeth.
    Best of luck, will watch for the TA post!!!!

8. This isn't the TA post, it's the mother post. I know this is going off on a tangent, but I am mum to child with multiple disabilities and yes she is certainly VERY dependent and largely passive, however I try to adapt everything I can to let her have some control and give her the skills she needs. I REALLY struggle with the way some people (including educational professionals) treat her, molly coddling and not doing their job. I really struggled to find a nursery for her last year because of this problem and she will start in a special school in Sept (part time) and I will worry again. I absolutely know she's not a genius trapped in a disabled body but equally she should have every opportunity develop she after all has to live with her disabilities for her life so we have to do everything we can. The trouble is that kind of attitude takes considerably more time, and when you have a group of children that can be difficult, but unfortunately sometimes the routine can take over an sometimes staff forget the real reason why they and the children are there. For example when Grace is at home when she goes into the light room it is dark until she presses her switch, when we are going outside we wait at the doorway I ask "she we go out?" we wait until she makes a sound and then we go! This used to take FOREVER! now about 5 seconds. When I make cakes she turns the food processor on with a switch, but can sometimes take a while, she turns the hairdryer on (again with switch) when i dry her hair. But things can take a long time but pay dividends. OH my goodness think I needed to get that off my chest

9. hi realize i'm jonny come lately, but i have a student on the same p levels in my class - am struggling with the numeracy planning as well, but can send you a copy of my literacy planning for this half term if you're interested.
    trudie

10. hi I am in the same boat and we are looking at stories in literacy. The stories are walt disney so I am doing sleeping beauty, snow white, Aladdin . Make the story simple and look for things that will go with the story. I have a hand mirror and masks of snow white dwarfs, queen, apple plastic axe and so on. When saying the story make it interactive those children who can communicate and are able get them to act it out for the less able. Use hands on activities use an interactive white board do counting songs.

11. Jo3Grace

Jo3Grace New commenter

It is Christmas day so just a quick reply (Happy Christmas everyone)

You might find the resources on http://jo.element42.org helpful. There's free planning from different organisations to suit P1-8

More going up soon (it's on my to-do list)

Kind regards

Jo Grace