1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Planning lesson when half of class are out of school?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by amrh13, Apr 25, 2019.

1. amrh13

amrh13 New commenter

Hi all,

Next week, I will be missing approximately half of the students in one of my classes, this will be for 3 full 75 minute lessons.
    I've been in this situation before as I'm sure a lot of you have, but I don't feel like I ever plan effective lessons when I'm in this situation so I thought I'd ask for advice. Would you carry on teaching the syllabus, and expect the missing students to catch up?
    Some general ideas would be great but for context, if it helps, the class is a top set, year 10 class and I teach Maths.

2. Rumper

Rumper New commenter

I would consolidate, exam questions and exam technique, I wouldn't deliver new topics for those lessons. I'd use it as a chance to recap some weaker areas from earlier in the syllabus and expect the missing ones to catch up on this revision work. 3 full 75 minute lessons is A LOT of time though, seems crazy to miss that much of a core subject in one go

phlogiston and needabreak like this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I'd do a mini project for those lessons.

needabreak likes this.
  4. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Consolidation/extension work, I think - past exam questions on topics you've done, and either make sure you include some of those nasty ones from the very end of the paper, or dig out some maths challenge/olympiad material for those that need little consolidation. Perhaps do something completely different for at least one lesson - how about downloading some of the UKMT team maths challenge material (the year 8/9 one would probably still give enough challenge).

Catching up? What are other subjects doing? I'm guessing they're on a residential trip of some sort, and so it will presumably affect all subjects, and perhaps they have been told that they should expect to have to do a fair amount of catching up on return. Or maybe everyone is planning a relaxed week so they don't miss too much. Also talk to the set 2 teacher - if they're missing a fair number as well, maybe work together.

5. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Bbc radio4 puzzles from the Today programme.

6. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Occasional commenter

Exam prep and independent work.

7. dmariethomas

dmariethomas New commenter

I'm not a Maths teacher, and so these suggestions may be utterly useless, but you could try getting them to do things like creating a board game with challenge and question cards where the questions are mental arithmetic or the easier task that you have been doing and the challenge cards are the more difficult topics you have been studying; give them answers and get them to work out the questions.
    Not sure how helpful these will be.