1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Planning INSET DAY and need help...Anyone?

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by TeachingCat, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Hi All

I have been tasked with planning an INSET morning to motivate staff and encourage the use of a wider range of active teaching strategies.

I am new to the school and don't know the staff. As part of my role is to coach members of staff on improving their teaching to outstanding, I need to make a positive impact.

Can anyone offer me any advice as to how to introduce myself, activities, structure... ? Please?

Thanks.

2. Hi there. What kind of school is it? Age range, class numbers, size and profile of the school?

3. Hi there. Sorry for previous questions - I was looking at your previous posts and thought you were going to a school in Lagos! You may not know the school, but start by having a look at their T&L policy to see what they say they're doing already. I would make a big part of the session interactive, so you couldn't be accused of being "the new bod" simply "preaching" at them!
    For your background info, have a look at suttontrust.com/research/toolkit-of-strategies-to-improve-learning/1toolkit-summary-final-r-2-.pdf There are also some excellent resources at teaching expertise.com/teaching-learning Jackie Beere is one of the best practitioners (we have had her at school delivering inset) - google her and you'll find lots of practical, active tips and resources.
    A focus on independent thinking and learning is a must for your task - P4C (philosophy for children) is brilliant for this, and will ensure that the staff are actively engaged. It's great fun, too! Look at philosophy4children.co.uk and sapere.org.uk I have a PDF P4C handbook with clear explanations and lots of practical activities. If you're interested, let me know your email address. Good luck!