1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

planning in the moment

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by leahannabelle, Jan 8, 2019.

1. leahannabelle

leahannabelle New commenter

Looking for thoughts and ideas upon planning in the moment? This is something we are looking at implementing in my preschool setting which is attached to a school.

2. ChanChan123

ChanChan123 New commenter

Hi!

Basically 'in the moment' planning is a fancy name for what you're probably already doing - X shows an interest in wheels so after lunch you put out the large tyres alongside construction too - for a super simple example.
    It's great but I find I need to keep on top of how I'm extending some children just to avoid hvaing those 'invisible' learners. It's also really great if you're setting has a very early years feel to it and it can allow for alot of freedom within your room and teaching.

:)

3. leahannabelle

leahannabelle New commenter

Thank you for your reply!
    Yes I am beginning to understand what In the moment planning is. Do you have X ammount of focus children per week? Do you do any observations of other children during that time?

4. ChanChan123

Yes at one setting we literally printed a list of children up and chose something like 4 a week. It wasn't like this meant we'd be glued to them just they were on your radar a little bit. I was lucky enough to visit a setting that chose 1 or 2 'teachable moments' per child and recorded what was said or done by the child and how it was extended etc.

E.g 'Jane says its so cold we need a hat'

I agreed with Jane and explained that because it was winter it was very cold. After lunch I put cold weather clothes liek scarves and gloves in the home corner.

That afternoon Jane put a hat and scarf on and said

5. ChanChan123

That afternoon Jane put a hat and scarf on and said 'now I can wear these for the winter to keep warm!'

It's a rubbish example because it's not showing much enthusiasm in Jane's part haha but shows the basis or starting point, what the adult did and what happened as a result.

They wrote them down on a really nicely laid out sheet showing the whole process etc. They then displayed it on a floor book.

Having these children that are the focus doesn't mean that you don't do observations any other it just means that you know on a regular basis that you can show that you're systematically extending everyone's learning.

It's all stuff you'd be doing anyway only this time you're writing it down!

6. ChanChan123

Sorry for the gap - it wouldn't fit in one!

Let me now if you've got any other questions xx

7. StarbuckEducation

StarbuckEducation New commenter

Like the previous posts I am sure you are already doing it under another name. Identifying children's interests, schemas etc and then following their interest by building up the provision to support, extend and engage them. I have made a few videos about planning on my YouTube channel if you are wanting to see some examples. One is on Spiderman and one is on Schemas.

Louisehind123 likes this.
  8. Koodlesch

Koodlesch New commenter

If you're stuck for ideas I would definitely suggest looking a the Reggio approach to teaching and learning. They have many 'in the moment' methods of teaching and ideas.