1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Planning in a Prep School - what do ISI look for?

Discussion in 'Independent' started by LT79, Nov 25, 2015.

1. LT79

LT79 New commenter

Hello all,

I am on the SMT of a small Prep School - we are looking at the planning we currently have in place and I was wondering - does anyone have any experience of what an ISI inspection might look for in this regard?

We currently expect subject overviews, detailed long term plans and then less detailed weekly plans. I am trying to ensure that what we're asking of our staff is not too onerous, but that it is detailed enough to work in the classroom and to satisfy any inspection we may have in the future.

Thanks in advance!

LT

2. geoff1954

geoff1954 New commenter

My last ISI inspection was about 4 years ago. They took no notice at all of academic subjects; they didn't even open my subject handbook which contained plans etc. The report was all about management, pastoral care and extra-curricular.

3. LT79

LT79 New commenter

Thank you for your feedback Geoff.

4. star9

star9 New commenter

We had an ISI inspection last term.

The comment from the lead was 'I don't care what the planning looks like as long as there is evidence that teachers are planning' I am sure that is not completely true, but they do not have time to wade through pages of planning. We advised all our teachers to do lesson plans for the days they were in showing where the lesson fitted into the scheme of things. All teachers do weekly planning, which was available but not looked at. MTPS were printed off and put into folders as requested but I am not sure they were looked at much.

Good luck

jarndyce likes this.