1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Planning foundation topics

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by HBryant, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Hi!

I am just about to begin my NQT year and wanted to get ahead with some planning. Seeing as this is my first year of teaching I have never actually constructed a long term plan. I'm a bit confused with what I am expected to teach in topics like geography and history - we have a topic focus a term such as 'green' 'olympics' and 'a sense of place' which will obviously need to be linked in but are there specific objectives for YR3 which must be covered? If so where do I find them? The standards site seems obvious to me but the topics have a bit of a loose connection with those published I feel.

When it comes to DT I have been told that I need to cover 'levers', 'cushion covers' and 'greenhouses' - do I pluck objectives for this out of thin air?!

Science sussed.

And also where on earth do I begin with music/PE/PSHE planning?!

Sorry, having a little panic!

Any help much appreciated!

Oh, and also a random question but do the PLS units need to be taught in a particular order?

2. Hi!

I am just about to begin my NQT year and wanted to get ahead with some planning. Seeing as this is my first year of teaching I have never actually constructed a long term plan. I'm a bit confused with what I am expected to teach in topics like geography and history - we have a topic focus a term such as 'green' 'olympics' and 'a sense of place' which will obviously need to be linked in but are there specific objectives for YR3 which must be covered? If so where do I find them? The standards site seems obvious to me but the topics have a bit of a loose connection with those published I feel.

When it comes to DT I have been told that I need to cover 'levers', 'cushion covers' and 'greenhouses' - do I pluck objectives for this out of thin air?!

Science sussed.

And also where on earth do I begin with music/PE/PSHE planning?!

Sorry, having a little panic!

Any help much appreciated!

Oh, and also a random question but do the PLS units need to be taught in a particular order?

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Look at the National Curriculum as this is the statutory document you need to plan from and contains the objectives you need to cover over the year.
    DT coverage doc

and breathe