1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Planning formats PMLD

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by gomeoggle, Jul 7, 2016.

1. gomeoggle

gomeoggle New commenter

I am just looking to hear some opinions on planning. Next year I am going to have a class of ks2 PMLD children between p1-4. I have previously always had mixed SLD and PMLD. I was looking to change the planning format to better suit the needs of this group of children.

We currently plan individual daily sessions Monday- Friday for all subjects (maths, literacy, science, history etc). I want to alter this as I feel that the children need a lot more time to gain a skill than one session so I was thinking about having a weekly plan perhaps instead of different daily inputs? I have trialed it this term and it seems to be having a positive impact but I would like to know what methods others have found best.

I was also looking to do a more cross-curricular approach to the afternoon rather than teaching history, geography etc. What format do you use for this? I know some of you teach in areas of cognition, communication, physical, self care and independence which I think I think is great and have put forward. However, my school are not currently looking to use that curriculum design so I wouldn't be able to use such planning formats.

If anyone would be prepared to let me know how they plan or share their planning formats that would be really helpful. I am more than happy to share my planning formats to show what I do at the moment :) Thanks in advance!

2. Jo3Grace

Jo3Grace New commenter

Hello
    I am afraid I do not having planning formats to share as I work as a consultant so am no longer classroom based (although I do still get to see quite a few).

I wanted to pop up and say how fantastic your repeating week plan sounds, and to commend you for trying something innovative and ask if you've thought of writing up what you've found as a little piece of action research. I know some publications that would be interested in publishing it, (I'm hopeless at messages on here but you're welcome to email me: sensory story at g mail dot com) I imagine other practitioners would be interested too.

Repetition is so important for the engagement and learning of the young people you teach. Being bold enough to give them it is a wonderful thing. What others I've known who have tried similar have found is that it is maintaining the engagement of those facilitating the sessions that becomes the challenge, rather than finding activities to suit the individuals.

Teaching in a cross curricular way is another great plan. Understanding at the beginning of engaging with a subject is very similar across curriculum areas, for example if you are exploring sand the activity is about encountering and experiencing the sand in a sensory way. Sensory learning is spot on where you should be for learners operating at P1-3. Exploring sand could count as geography, as it is an exploration of different environments. Experiencing sand in different quantities and in different containers is maths: an understanding of number and of capacity etc. Experiencing sand moving, lifting it, letting it go is science: gravity, movement, motion, forces, different types of materials. Tell a story about sand and you're doing literacy at the same time as all of the above. Stick the sand to something and you're doing art and design technology. And so on and so on.

You're not making it up that your learners are doing all these topics, they genuinely are. Think of all that people learn through play in the early years of life, it's all cross curricular, and the play aspect is super important. When we are at play our concentration is far greater, our learning far deeper than when not at play. So make your activities fun, for everyone, and you'll be boosting their capacity for learning and making your classroom more fun for everyone.

Have fun!

Kind regards
    Jo Grace

3. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

Start a conversation with me giving me your e mail address so I can send something as an attachment.
    Repetition is really the way to go, that and careful note taking so that you see and celebrate the progress students make. Do look at Jo's website (and book) for the importance of exact repetition in stories and what to look for to show development at these early levels.
    I've also got some planning on here:
    https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/odyssey-now-suitable-for-ks4-pupils-with-pmld-6002844

gomeoggle likes this.
  4. gomeoggle

gomeoggle New commenter

Thanks so much for sharing! It has given me a little more confidence in what I'm doing too. The planning on the link was really helpful Dzil and I've sent you my email address. Yes Jo I'd definitely be interested in writing up on what I've found, I've emailed you. Thanks again!

5. mariak26

mariak26 New commenter

Hello all

I am teaching a POST 16 PMLD class and our topic next term is 'preparing for changes'.
    Most of my students are leaving school in July 2018 and attend college from September so I was thinking to plan a sensory story for them to prepare them for the next step. Do you have any good ideas or suggestions? I would really appreciate it. Many thanks

6. ames1983

ames1983 New commenter

I’d be happy to help you with this :) I don’t know how to start private conversations on here etc but if there’s a way please drop me a message!

I teach P1-P3, age 7-11 currently butbhave also taught eyfs and lower school pmld students.

I redeveloped our timetable and curriculum a couple of years ago. We now have 4 subjects - communication, problem solving, physical development and World Around Us x