1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Planning format

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by steevie, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Long, meedium or short?

2. Short please.

3. Just to reassure you a little- we had Ofsted last month and they didnt look at any planning!

4. GemsEYFS

GemsEYFS New commenter

i had ofsted last term also, they asked for a planning pack to be avilablefor when they entered the room. I included my room/continuous prov plan, my weekly overview of where and what all staff should be doing, individual session plans, my ,letters and sounds planning and my 'number time planning. And then i including all copies of interventions that were due to take place that day. They looked more at how i was showing differentaition for my HA ability children through my plans, what i was using with that session to enhance their leanring. As long as supports your teaching and you can expalin why you do what your doing you'll be fine. Ensure they can see where your previous assessments have supported your planning.

5. Thanks Gemma. Can I just ask how do you show the differentiation in your planning? Is this just for prsn and cll or the others too? How do you show explicitly that previous assessments have supported planning? They do but this isn't evident in the planning format that I use.

6. Sorry psrn!

7. GemsEYFS

GemsEYFS New commenter

I have a 'previous leanring box' at the top of my overview. It sometimes could just be 3/4 notes for example
    - children really enthused by junk modelling, so this will link to maths sorting activity.
    - more coverage of ' robot' talk as chidlren not picking up final phonemes.
    Then on my current planning i normally scribble notes all over throughout the week so it is a working document.
    My main differntiation is by questioning, and i put example or higher order questions to ask the HA chidlren. This is done for all activities. some activites have some of the actucal activity differentaited depending on the activity. So for example in my letters and sounds. all chidlren togtehr for main teaching, then i work with majority of chidlren playing an interaqctive game and then push my phase 2 HA chidren to 'record' their sounds on whiteboards.

Does this make sense? It is only minimal information, as we have weekly planning meetings so all my staff know what to expect from the different abilities. but it is written down so that others can see what we do. Hope this help x

8. That's a great help thanks. I work I'm a small school with single for m entry so have no-one to share ideas with.

9. Lesley Staggs who wrote the original eyfs was heard to say 'if you spend more time planning an activity than doing it, you've got the balance wrong'. Do be careful to not to 'over-plan'. If you have one A4 sheet headed 'We differentiate teaching and learning in the following ways', followed by all the ways you use, e.g. 'by questioning', by outcome' 'by materials', by vocabulary' and then keep it either on the wall or in the front of your planning file (or both) you are showing that you understand how this works in practice without needing to write it on every planning sheet.