1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Planning for Year 1

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by SanzyPanzy, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Hello!

I've been given Year 1 and am an NQT.

However I feel very lost. My school is implementing the creative curriculum but I am so lost on how to plan??!! Where do I find what I'm supposed to use to plan from for Mathematics etc?

We already have a topic which is fine and I understand how to link that into different subjects but I don't understand where to get the schemes of work from.

This must sound so stupid :(

2. Hello!

I've been given Year 1 and am an NQT.

However I feel very lost. My school is implementing the creative curriculum but I am so lost on how to plan??!! Where do I find what I'm supposed to use to plan from for Mathematics etc?

We already have a topic which is fine and I understand how to link that into different subjects but I don't understand where to get the schemes of work from.

This must sound so stupid :(

3. Oh yes wonderful, I thought it was still from that and connecting it to the topic we will be doing.

How do you plan for your foundation subjects? Do you use the national curriculum website and then work it in from there? Do you make up your own lessons?

Thanks!

4. We have topics and link the relevant QCA units to these. I use the QCA units to get the objectives but then tend to plan my own lessons as the QCA suggestions can be fairly dry/not fully thought out. Lots of schools though have abandoned QCA and are planning their topic subjects through using National Curriculum objectives and planning their own lessons from those objectives. Therefore, I cannot say for sure which option your school will do but hopefully that is helpful.

5. Thats really helpful thank you. Yeah my school is using the National Curriculum objectives and planning their own lessons from them. Thanks so much!