1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Planning for/taking that leap

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by senlady, Feb 24, 2016.

  1. senlady

    senlady Senior commenter

    I teach, husband is in IT (currently in an Academy but not education related at all. We have 3 primary school aged children.

    We are very interested in a few years abroad, we are not in a massively strong economic situation. We would probably both need to work whilst away in order to afford life.

    How the heck do we manage to both get jobs and get somewhere? Or does one of us apply for things and once they have something move and the other then apply? This seems risky as what if the second doesn't get something?

    What 'expenses' would we have in the Uk still? We have a house but would rent that out and that would cover mortgage, is there anything else we should think of expenses wise?

    JUST HELPPPPP It is pickling my brain!
  2. Kartoshka

    Kartoshka Established commenter

    Think how you would do it if you wanted to move to a different city in the UK. If one of you got a job but the other didn't, would you not move, or would you move and see what came up for the other over the next couple of months? It can be easier to find work when you're in the country, especially if you are willing to be flexible about what you do.

    Good luck!
  3. Jeremyinspain

    Jeremyinspain Occasional commenter

    I've started a 'conversation' with you.
  4. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    My advice, senlady, would be to contact a smelly and ancient pachyderm that occasionally wanders around this forum.
  5. ejclibrarian

    ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

    I have quite a few colleagues at my current school with husbands/wives & children who are the sole earners and are doing fine on one salary. I also know of several spouses who have picked up some part time work here and there, and others who have applied for & got full time work once they were settled. I was a trailing 'spouse' and I got a job as a TA. Now I'm employed full time. There are often opportunities for non-teacher spouses at the school you are working at or in the wider community. Of course it depends on where you go and also whether one salary will support all of you but I know people who do it. It's not a big deal. Our school covers housing, up to two school places (I think), relocation/shipping costs (up to a certain amount) and flights home.

    There are a fair few overseas teachers on here who have properties in the UK. If you're renting your place you'll need (I guess) to do a self assessment tax form on income. I'm sure someone else can confirm that. If renting out your house covers the mortgage, perfect!

    It's really not as difficult as I think you think it is. Just start looking for jobs and see what happens!

    Hippo always gives very good advice so I'm sure he'll be able to help you.

    Let us know how you get on! We're always here to lend a hand and a friendly ear.

Share This Page