1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

planning for spelling, grammar and comprehension

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by spiderwomen, Jun 27, 2012.

1. spiderwomen

spiderwomen New commenter

It surprises me how many tutors use so many photocopies. I have a very systematic approach to tutoring and once I've assessed them I put them on Letts literacy or Colins Comprehension. The parents buy the books and the child works through the different activities. If necessary I'll get additional resources for specific areas of difficulty which they need to focus on. I took over a child's learning from another tutor who used lots of photocopied sheets. I couldn't see what the child had done at a glance, what assessments had been carried out, targets set or any comments. There was no running record.

2. spiderwomen

spiderwomen New commenter

It surprises me how many tutors use so many photocopies. I have a very systematic approach to tutoring and once I've assessed them I put them on Letts literacy or Colins Comprehension. The parents buy the books and the child works through the different activities. If necessary I'll get additional resources for specific areas of difficulty which they need to focus on. I took over a child's learning from another tutor who used lots of photocopied sheets. I couldn't see what the child had done at a glance, what assessments had been carried out, targets set or any comments. There was no running record. The Letts series covers spelling, grammar and comprehension but they are pitched at able children. It's all done for you.