1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Planning for small school

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pcallaghan, Jun 1, 2011.

1. HELP!!! I WILL HAVE A P1-7 CLASS (19 children in total) next year!!!
    Has anyone got ANY advice with regards to teaching 19 children ranging from primary 1 - 7. Unfortunately our numbers dropped due to several families moving from the local area and we are going from a two teacher school to one! ME! I have experience of teaching 3/4 way composite classes (Primary 4-7) But I have never had to teach ALL stages ALL the time! I really need advice/ help/ support because this is a daunting task and I am really struggling with the logistics of how this can be done... With regards to daily, weekly and termly planning. As it stands I will have 10 maths groups - 9 spelling groups and 8 reading groups and 2 indiviudals, unfortunately the children cannot be grouped together as they are ALL pretty much working at different levels/stages. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP![​IMG]

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

On those two afternoons I would really try to pin down a parent helper. Perhaps you have one that would come in whilst you do Games for instance - this might be an attractive option possibly for a parent?
    On the other afternoon would there be a parent that could come in and help whilst you do D&T or ICT activities? You may have someone (or more than one even) who is really good at craft, cooking, computers etc.
    I think you need to approach any likely parents personally with a specfic request for help - rather than a general plea. Are any of the governors prepared to volunteer?
    Thinlk very hard about how you use your TA. You will need to plan very carefully to make sure that all children have equal access to you.
    Your older pupils will have to be your buddies. Give them as much responsibility as you can reasonably expect a child of their age to do.
    Is their another school you can team up with in a similar situation that you can make a friend of the teacher to share planning ideas?
    Use the LEA advisors as much as possible.
    Check the rules - it sounds as if you might be completely on your own with the children for some of the time with no other teacher or TA on the premises - is this legal?
    Good luck!

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Is there another school - whoops - sorry!

4. greta444

greta444 New commenter

This is a dreadful situation. Why haven't the LEA closed the school? You would be much better off taking yourself and your 19 children to your head's other school where they can be taught within their own age group.
    Best of luck. Get as much help in as you can.