1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Planning for PPA cover

Discussion in 'Primary' started by carriecat10, Sep 13, 2012.

1. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

As mentioned previously ... all teachers are entitled to 10% PPA time, but in reality this often makes little sense for PPA cover teachers. Ours are paid extra for this.
    Carrie [​IMG]

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

What do you mean?

3. Sorry, bad choice of words I guess! Got one eye on planning for tomorrow and the other on this thread!
    What I mean is agree in advance what lessons are going to be taught by the PPA teacher. The OP mentioned that lessons keep getting changed at short notice meaning planning is wasted. Surely a simple solution to this would be to agree on a subject(s) that will be taken by the PPA teacher each week.
    Hope that is clearer!

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

Devon, I don't even know for sure which classes I'm going to be teaching from one day to the next!

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

How can you not? Do the teachers not know if and when they will have PPA?

I know when I have PPA time every week. Like others the teacher covering takes over teaching certain subjects.

Though, to be fair, it is only the first full week of term, so things are still settling down. There are lots of changes in lots of parts of schools this week.

6. I just don't understand why this is the case?! As Minnieminx says, there must be a set timetable for PPA in your school?
    So how does it work?

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

We are a single-form entry school. It's all very fluid.
    I've had big rucks about this on here and there are still people who can't understand how I come to be working to such an uncertain timetable. But I am, and that's that. There's nothing I can do about it and it gets up my nose that some online colleagues are often so judgmental [I'm not talking about this thread] when there's really nothing I can do about it.
    I have one colleague who is well up on the rules. Unfortunately, she only sees it from the point of view of class teachers. She wouldn't survive a week doing what I do - especially in her class.

8. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

We are a very small school with KS1 all in one class but our teachers have set PPA time. It is I think even more important in a small school. The peson covering PPA has set subjects to teach, these do not change.

9. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

I'm also in a single entry school but we still have set PPA times. They may change occasionally but usually with notice (where possible) and as a one off because of sickness or someone being out on training or something. We also have a timetable (set by the teacher) that we stick to, not absolutely rigidly, but generally and so the person covering my class will always teach the same lessons each week. I give them a subject that's generally a once a week subject (like Science) that they can plan, mark and assess themselves, much easier that way I find. To be honest, your issue is nothing to do with the fact that it's a single entry school, it's just how it's managed I would say. I'd have a chat to your headteacher about it.

10. I am a HLTA who covers two afternoon a week for PPA. I am expected to take the medium term planning and produce short term planning and teach from that. I am also expected to mark and assess what I have taught. For this I get paid 1 hour an afternoon above the two hours I teach. As there are three of us who cover PPA, one of whom is a part time teacher, we also get 1 afternoon a half term to get together and plan as we all teach the same lessons - RE and French in both upper and lower key stage 2.

11. I work part time in a local 2 form entry primary and do all sorts of PPA cover, management cover & supply when needed. For my regular PPA cover slots I generally do my planning, marking etc . I have timetabled slots when I know which classes I'll be in and after discussions with the class teacher it is decided which subject I take on. I also get my own allocation of PPA time. At the moment I have a fairly horrendous timetable due to maternity/paternity leaves so I'm teaching about 60% but over 5 days, in 9 different classes & 5 different year groups! Its taking a while to get used to but in theory will only be this complicated til half term. For most of it I take on a subject which is then "mine" to plan etc & is the only lesson of that in the week - eg music, PSHE, RE, PE.... Plus I can repeat lessons - so the 2 Y4 classes get the same PE & RE lessons, the 2 Y2 classes get the same music & PSHE lessons.
    I do have a morning in Y6 where I have to pick up the teacher's literacy and numberacy plans, then make sure I mark and feedback in time for her the next day. I have a quick hour in Y5 where they have asked me to do mental maths - straight from a book, so that eases the work load! Also another morning in Y6 where I do an investigation based on what they've been doing that week - again planned by the teacher. I'm happy to do things either way - if the teacher wants to tell me what to do then I like to know in advance so I can give it some thought but I also like to take ownership of some things. I'd much rather have my own class but doing this has got me back into teaching after maternity/bringing up the kids & is giving me some amazing experience. I have to be really flexible & I enjoy not having to worry about parents evenings, loads of meetings & all the responsibilities that come along with being a class teacher, although if I teach a subject to a class for most of the year I do have to write the end of year reports.
    I suppose I'm lucky that unlike cw3355 I haven't got heavy marking subjects and that workload does seem quite a lot for PPA cover. Surely if there are a number of different classes in each year group then planning should be done jointly with other teachers? Is there a way of sharing the workload or repeating the same lesson with more than one class? I would suggest you need a chat with a couple of the class teachers or the head to go over it all. I do think it is harder planning for different subjects in different classes & year groups when you don't get to know the children so well, perhaps they haven't really looked at what you are being asked to do as a whole. Good luck!

12. I know that supply teachers are meant to plan and mark the lessons they cover for PPA but what about when a TA is used for PPA on a permanent basis across the whole primary school? The expectations are exactly the same but it's an awful lot of extra work for the pay compared to ordinary TA work. And it takes the TA longer as they aren't used to doing it.

marybat01 likes this.