1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Planning for other teachers

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Sloper69, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Sloper69

Sloper69 New commenter

I work part-time, teaching a class with another member of staff. Can I be required to do all the planning for the class?

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

3. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

No but with our job shares one teacher might plan literacy and the other plans numeracy.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Is the other member of staff a teacher?

5. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

It would be usual to either:
    • plan for your lessons and the other teacher plans for theirs
    • discuss how to split the subjects and planning between you fairly.
    I can't see why one teacher should do all the planning. What does the other teacher do in exchange for the time you are spending planning for him/her?

6. caterpillartobutterfly

Actually in a job share, I would happily do all the planning if they did all the marking and report writing...;)

7. Sloper69

Sloper69 New commenter

This is coming from SLT. The other staff member is a teacher.

8. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

What reasons does the SLT member give for putting all the planning on one of the two teachers in a job share? It's a very unusual situation.

9. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

It certainly is. How is the teaching time split? Is your contract more than 0.5?

10. Sloper69

Sloper69 New commenter

I work 0.6 with time out for PPA and other responsibilities.

11. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

It is normal for one person to be allocated the writing of schemes of work, which then all teachers use to do their own planning,

12. caterpillartobutterfly

Not in primary it isn't.

I'd be saying no to doing this. Certainly plan for your own lessons, and possibly, to show willing, offer to give outline planning for maths and English on the other two days. But that's it.

13. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

Who does it then? Surely every teacher doesn't write their own scheme of work? You only need the one, and someone has to write it

14. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

@Sloper69 You sound like you are in primary and work the same as i do. I am also 0.6 with time out for PPA and other responsibilities. When i work with my 0.4 colleague we have a day each halfterm for paperwork and planning. We create an expected 'forecast' of when we will teach what. This is flexible but gives us some idea of where we are going. on a weekly basis i start the teaching for Maths and Literacy then speak to, or email, my colleague early on my final day to let her know what we have doen and what she could do next. I DO NOT plan what she does, just give her a 'you could do this' idea. She then does the same for me later in the week. The afternoon sessions are split more easily as we each take 'subjects' and follow our own planning, having first done our 'forecast' for the term. I suppose you could call that MTP.

I don't plan for her at any point, but will ensure she has what she needs if she is going to pick straight up from where i have got to, for example i set out exactly what she needs for the next RWInc session as she doesn't know what they struggled with on my days, equally she does this for me. We both know we can literally walk in and teach those sessions without any hitch.

I certainly think you need to talk to SMT about how the planning is sorted. It sounds unfair and inappropriate, you cannot plan for someone else. work 3 days, plan for 3 days....

15. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

I wish this were the situation! In primary the goalposts change all the time, especially these days when a new 'non-negotiable' teaching and learning strategy is introduced after every inset day.

Often a year group will plan together, start from the national curriculum objectives and select which ones are to be covered within a topic for that half term. Then the planning for each subject and relating to that topic is shared out between the teachers in the same year group, or if you're a one form entry school, you do it all on your own. It isn't often that planning can be reused for the next year, as you may have a different topic, a different cohort where there are many more boys than previous year (and therefore needs very boy-friendly planning), or you may have moved year groups yourself and then yet again it's a start all over again thing. After ten years of teaching in primary, I have hardly ever been able to reuse a lesson plan. Yes I know it should be easier than this, but as I said at the start, goalposts move and we are expected to reinvent the wheel constantly = exhaustion!